claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
After a 3 year vacation from building to pay daughter's college, I'm trying to recapture where I was. Sadly, it's right at the point where I try to fit the tanks both inboard/outboard & fore/aft to the wing. Having a bit of a tussle over this.
The in/out: If I cleco the tank skin (w/o ribs) to both the baffle and spar (via tank attach screw holes) there's no budge at all to eliminate a tiny gap between the tank skin and the outer leading edge skin. If I only cleco to the baffle to allow for movement, the baffle springs forward so much I can't really check the fit accurately.
The fore/aft: The directions would have me complete the in/out fitting first, and then do the fore/aft. Is that how everyone is doing it - two steps? As far as the fore/aft, wrapping the tank skin around the baffle (with ribs clecoed to the baffle) with straps seems to be the consensus. And once this is perfect, all the skin to: ribs, baffle & spar attach screw holes are drilled? It seems like the tank skin to spar screws are taking most of the stress here, how are you getting those drilled so perfectly without destroying the platenuts on the spar?
Any other methods or construction sequences for getting this all done and done well?
Thanks!
Clay "Cookie Monster" Cook
RV-8 Half-Fast: Kit wings & QB Fuse
N801CM Reserved