kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
I'm installing the instruments. Good fun. I've got a GNS 430. I've put some aluminum angle to hold the rack for the GNS 430 (and some other inradio/nav instruments) and extended it back a bit to make them flush with the panel.

With the top skin in place and the instrument panel and baggage compartment bulkhead lined up I only have about 1.5" to 2" between the rear of the GNS430 rack and the baggage compartment. It's not really enough to install the plugs and cables coming out the back of the rack. I thought I might cut a hole in the baggage compartment bulkhead and run the cables into the baggage compartment and then back out to the instrument panel a bit further away from the rack. But I don't want to put the baggage on the cables. And whatever I do seems likely to involve a 90 degree bend in the cables somewhere. It doesn't matter where on the panel I put the GNS430 the distance between the panel and the baggage compartment bulkhead will be almost the same. If someone out there has a picture of what they did fitting the GNS430 I'ld love to see it. Any ideas without pcitures would also be appreciated.

I used some expensive 90 degree coax ends. You could also use normal coax ends, and some much less expensive 90 degree coax adapters. I decided against those because they add one more connection, and you lose a little bit of signal at each one.

Hmmm, worked OK here

I have an RV-8 with a GNS 430 installed in the upper right side of the instrument panel. While the clearance is close (I wouldn't call it tight), it certainly fits and I didn't have to mod the baggage compartment or use any unusual coax fittings etc.

If I get a chance, I can take some pictures for you. I am not sure how it will help since, I didn't do anything special when I installed the radio in January of 2005. Before that I had a Garmin 250XL in roughly the same spot.

bruce

Ken,

I had similar problems, but compounded mine by putting the GNS 430 right where it wanted to interfere with the forward Z-brace. I had less than an inch clearance for two of the antenna leads, and searched all over for an appropriate connector that would make it fit. Just as I was about to "modify" the Z-brace, one of my fabrication friends here at work came up with a way to modify an existing connector to make a good connection, and I wisely put the cutting tools down and left the Z-brace alone (don'tknow WHAT I was thinking!). It took some machining to get the connectors to work - we ended up with cable pig-tails coming out of the rack for those two antenna leads. For the two that didn't interfere with the Z-brace, standard 90's worked fine.

It sounds to me like your real problem is trying to make it a flush mount - that is going to move the unit back almost an inch, and take away any margin that you might have. Let's face it, the GNS 430 is a long box! I know that some people really like the way flush mount boxes look, and I won't tell you what you should do in your plane, but I can suggest that by letting the unit protrude, you will give yourself a finger ledge to stabilize your hand while twiddling the knobs in turbulence. It does make a big difference in operability, and will also solve your interference problem.

Paul

I never cease to be amazed. I encounter a problem. It might be minor but I always assume it is my fault entirely and figure it proves beyond doubt that I was wrong to think that a person with my almost non-existent handyman skills could build a plane. But I swallow my pride and make a post to this forum and/or email Vans. Blow me down if the same sort of problem hasn't been encountered by others and solved. And so I go away with a bit more courage and fix the problem. I'll abandon the flush mount idea to get another inch or so at the rear, investigate some 90 degree connectors and who knows, one day this baby might actaully fly!