WingedFrog

Well Known Member
This is just to share my experience on the issue. It gets sometimes a bit tough to push the rivets through the holes, particularly when riveting ribs that are not perfectly aligned under the skin. After struggling with this nuisance, I had the tip of my fingers in pain. The bad way to get around (which I used initially :rolleyes:) is to go through the hole with a drill bit of the right size: very effective but may create burs (only good for those who don't debur holes...:eek:). Now I am using a punch with a conical head and just push and rotate through the hole. As opposed to the drill it may take more than one try but more friendly for the hole, I think.
Just my two $0.01

Good tip! A shop awl or ice pick works great also. If you color the shaft of the awl with blue marker you will see the witness marks after a few times where the size will work with the rivet. Makes quick work of aligning holes and sizing holes without removing metal or creating burrs.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CB0Q8wIwAw#

I have 2 or 3 of them. Sometimes they align the holes better than a cleco, and they are faster!

Last edited:
One of my most useful tools was a wood working Awl. It is better than a punch because it has a more slender taper and a good handle. I seldom had to drill hole to get them to line up. The awl worked almost anytime I needed to line up holes.

Good points Mark and Larry. Indeed I noticed that I have to work hard sometime because the punch cone is too wide. I will look for something slimmer.

Screwdriver awl

Aircraft Spruce sells a "screwdriver awl" that's just the tool you need. As everyone else has said, it saves about 90% of the touch drilleing. You'll still need to touch drill some holes, especially when 3 pieced of metal are involved.

Wayne 120241/143WM