kentb

Well Known Member
I'll tell the full story in another thread when all the paper work is finished, but for now I have a question.

I am in the process of installing a new quick build left wing on my plane. Vans was great and sold me only the left wing main structure that I needed to replace. The question that I would like suggestions on is, when I drill the rear spar attach bolt I already have the rear fuse. attach drilled. Once I have the alignment correct how do I drill the hole in the rear spar without making the existing hole bigger?

Kent

One was is to

Get a drill bushing to fit the existing hole in the fuse attach point.

Align the wing correctly, drill a pilot hole using the bushing, and then remove the wing, and enlarge the hole to size. Preferably with a reamer, or a double margin drill.

Here's one idea - You could make something like this. The pin would hold the position on the other side of the spar until the drill bit pushes it out. You could always ream it for an oversize bolt (assuming all the correct hardware is available) if it's sloppy.

wing_drill_guide.png

Great...

Two good ideas.:)

I am a software engineer and when it comes to hardware solutions I am a little lacking.

Kent