Hi
I have a chance to purchase a used IO 360 C1E6 which I would like to fit into the 7A I am building
I already know I have to fit a new sump and inlet pipes
The engine comes with exhausted and all its other bits
I am seeking advise if this engine might be the way to go
Cheers and thanks for your help

Core value?

The exhaust system if not made just for the RV7,configured for your sump won't work,it does have core value for the type of aircraft it came out of.This would also be the case with the starter and alternator.Its tight under the cowl of a 7 and weight is an issue.Plan on a complete tare down inspection and lots of custom RV bits as you would say.IMHO
RHill

Last edited:
That variant has a front-mounted governor. At the very least, you are in for many hours of custom baffle work. Usually, this involves hacking some of the parts for the 540 baffle kit sold for the RV10 or forming your own out of sheet. The IO-390 guys have this issue as well. Based on my experience, I would not purchase that engine based on this factor alone.

You will also need a different sump and tubes, as mentioned above, most likely a forward-facing one. You'll also need the 200hp cowl and finish kit from Van's. DO NOT just blindly order the finish kit. Your hoses will likely all be custom lengths, so you might be able to use one out of five from the kit. Plan on ordering them from PHT or Bonaco.

As stated above, you will need a new exhaust. If you use a Lycoming sump and tubes, , you'll be able to use the Van's 200hp exhaust, and the control cable brackets will be less trouble. I'll also second the recommendation for a teardown/IRAN before going all in.

My recommendation is, unless you get an insanely good deal on this engine, or the extra work doesn't scare you, let it go.

Last edited:
Front Governor??

The front governor would be the last straw on the camels back,on top of the single duel mag. I would pass on this one.
RHill

The front governor would be the last straw on the camels back,on top of the single duel mag. I would pass on this one.
RHill

Why is the front governer a problem? I used this exact engine and am very happy with it. The front governer is easy to install, get at for inspection and frees up a bit of room in an already tight area. Having a front govener eliminates a line, that can and has ruptured on occasion.The mag can easily be changed. I did not need to modify Vans baffle kit at all to fit this engine. I would recommend this engine in a heart beat. Even the dog approves it.
img0800mw.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

I'd love to see pics of your baffle install. I had to do all kinds of shenanigans to get the baffles and the snorkel to work together. I can't imagine how it would work with the standard Van's baffle kit, I wound up reworking the IO-540 front baffles to fit with parts of the 180hp 360 kit. Mine was an O-360-F1A6, maybe that one's different.

You're right in that the front mounted governor is easier to install and access for maintenance, and the lack of oil line is a definite plus, and it was super easy to run the cable. But if I had stuck to a Van's-recommended engine, I would have had a lot less headache. I've never built one of these things before, so I was off in the weeds most of the time when it came to that part of it, with the exception of advice from the fine folks on VAF.

If he doesn't mind the extra work, and he gets a good deal on it, he should have at it. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it, based on my experience.

cheers,
-John

Why is the front governer a problem? I used this exact engine and am very happy with it. The front governer is easy to install, get at for inspection and frees up a bit of room in an already tight area. Having a front govener eliminates a line, that can and has ruptured on occasion.The mag can easily be changed. I did not need to modify Vans baffle kit at all to fit this engine. I would recommend this engine in a heart beat. Even the dog approves it.
img0800mw.jpg

I base that on the cowl bump and baffle mods if any.You make a very good point about the governor return line and tight space as well as cable brackets.Changing the mag requires a number of little gears and housing change.All this on top of a sump change.A lot of changes,if the price is right the numbers might work out.

I didn't need a cowl bump, but there's not a lot of room for the governor arm either. I also had to drill my gov. arm bracket so I could rotate the arm to a less vertical position. Interference with your injector lines is the only issue there, but that's not too bad.

I didn't need a cowl bump, but there's not a lot of room for the governor arm either. I also had to drill my gov. arm bracket so I could rotate the arm to a less vertical position. Interference with your injector lines is the only issue there, but that's not too bad.

Learn something new every day,thank you.
BTW, Nice looking dog
RHill