g zero

Well Known Member
I just received the canopy frame and associated parts , I have not riveted the top forward skin in place . Would it be easier to mark the cut on the canopy without the skin in place using a straight edge across the firewall and the baggage bulkhead ? I figure the canopy can be moved for and aft resting on the roll bar whithout touching the front skin for alinement. Any thoughts ?
Tom

I just did mine with the front top skin riveted in place. I used a marker with progressively smaller spacers under it as the fit got closer, always keeping the marker parallel to the c/l of the airplane. I ended up with a very good fit after about 10 iterations, and the shape is sort of down up down, not a continuous curve as I expected. Without the skin I would be concerned about "over cutting"!! I actually quite enjoyed the process, except for the sticky dust that results... Good luck..

I trimmed the canopy with the front skin clecoed in place only because I wanted to do the trimming in warm weather and had more work to do behind the instrument panel. If you are finished behind the panel, I'd go ahead and rivet the front skin in place.