morhall

I'm New Here
I am hoping for some first hand experience. I'm looking for an RV-6 or RV-7 and have been told that the Slider makes getting a regular bicycle into the baggage area possible. I'm talking about a regular (54cm frame) sized road bike, with the wheels taken off of course.

I'm wondering if anyone does this regularly? I have read a few threads about folding bikes and making them fit, but I am hoping my normal road bike might be an option if I don't have any other luggage to carry.

It would open up my options a bit if the Tip-up allows this, or if it isn't realistic in either that is good to know. Measuring the frame makes it seem like it's going to be tight and a bit of a puzzle, but possible.

Thanks for any feedback,

Morgan

Nooooooo...

I wouldn't want to do that. Even if you could get it to fit (assuming no passenger) you would scratch the interior up no matter how delicate you were.

:( CJ

That was fast!

I'll take that as a No vote, but my curiosity still exists.

I will have to check, I can probably find somewhere at Reid-Hillview to stash a bike. An inexpensive commuter bike might fit the bill and avoid the risk associate with loading/unloading.

I was assuming the bike would be in a bike bag to protect the interior some, at least from chain grease.

Thanks,

Morgan

Do not know about an rv6. I often put a full sized road bike (54 cm) in the back of my longeze. What you want to look for is a steel frame with s&s couplers. It will break down to the size of the wheels and ride the same as a standard bike.
Have fun. If you want some recommendation of where fly and ride let me know.

I've put my 58cm Kestrel in my slider RV-7. Wheels have to come off, obviously. So does the handlebar, though with a threadless headset that's not too difficult. Towels and old carpet to avoid banging stuff up. My plane isn't even remotely close to show quality and I had bicycle transportation in mind when I built it so the risk of grime or scrapes doesn't deter me. I do have the Meske "tip-up slider mod" which makes baggage compartment access easier. That can be added to a flying slider RV without much trouble.

Mtn bike attempt

I tried getting my mtn bike into my tip up 6. Almost.

I think if there is an easy way to remove the handlebars I might stand a better chance.

Sewing up a bag to put it all in would be a good idea too, but I flunked home ecc as a 6th grader and have been at the mercy of ready made clothes and fast foods until recently snagging my husband, the chef of the family.

We have done it...

Well... I just read your post again and realize your trying to stuff a full size bike in your plane.

But for your entertainment.....Here is how we did it with small bikes. :)

We found some bikes that go in. We don't worry about scratching the inside of the airplane, but we do try to NOT do it. :)

Basically, I can stick one bike in without having to do disassemble very much of it. The second one, I have to take it apart a little bit. It doesn't take very long and really isn't that inconvenient.

Here are some links that show pictures of the feat. We own an RV6A.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=73406

https://plus.google.com/photos/1052...60627279153?banner=pwa&authkey=CNrHtJ7bzIbGDw

If do put some bikes in your plane, take a few pics and tell us about it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Acroflyrgirl - glad to hear you passed on HomeEc and followed through on flying. Not enough women aviators. It's nice to find women who when talking about Diamonds, they either mean soaring badges or possibly a DA40.

Removing the bar on your mountain bike should be pretty easy. Probably 3 allen bolts to deal with to pop the stem off the fork. The thing to be careful about is that the fork will probably easily drop out of the headset with the stem removed. Great for even smaller breakdown, but just be sure you know when it is going to happen or if you have any open bearings that might decide to exit.

Lars - Thanks for the info on the tip-up/slider. I've seen a few planes advertised with that mod. I also suspected it might require removing the handlebar.

N363RV - Looks like you are at bike packing level-Expert from that nested solution. Great idea to have two small bikes though. For short tours, that seems to be a very good way to go and probably less hassle than my regular sized bike, though I do love my bike and its qualities.

Good information all around though. Now to find that 180hp CS Prop RV6/7 that needs a new adoring owner...

I can not say about a full size bike but Citizens folding bike Toyko model fits great in a tipper, They are 6 speed, we ordered the custom seat and the bag to put the bike in. They weigh 28 lbs ea. We can put two in the baggage compartment and still have 40 lbs for duffle bags etc. With two in the baggage compartment they take up pretty much all the space level to the top of the seats leaving room only for duffle bags. They work great, can take them out and unfold them in about 2 minutes.

We are very careful when putting them in and it takes the two of us to make sure we dont drop them on the wing, they are not heavy but with the 7 I stand on the wing and my wife hands them to me then she helps by going on the other side to help support them and guide them into the baggage area. Takes longer to get them in and out than it does to set them up.

Been extremely happy with them.
Jack

Last edited:
All,
I have a 6A slider and because I have the Meski "tip up slider kit" installed I can get my full size Shwinn Montaque in easily. It breaks down and slips into a bag. The tip up kit allows loading from the ground. One of the best things I added to my slider and a real pleasure to travel with.

Cheers

I am hoping for some first hand experience. I'm looking for an RV-6 or RV-7 and have been told that the Slider makes getting a regular bicycle into the baggage area possible. I'm talking about a regular (54cm frame) sized road bike, with the wheels taken off of course.

I'm wondering if anyone does this regularly? I have read a few threads about folding bikes and making them fit, but I am hoping my normal road bike might be an option if I don't have any other luggage to carry.

It would open up my options a bit if the Tip-up allows this, or if it isn't realistic in either that is good to know. Measuring the frame makes it seem like it's going to be tight and a bit of a puzzle, but possible.

Thanks for any feedback,

Morgan

Morgan,

I'm curious of your thoughts on not wanting to go to a folding road bike like a Bike Friday? Well other than cost which is certainly a big reason. :(

While not a true road bike, I have a Bike Friday Tiket that was custom built to the same riding dimensions as my Specialized road bike. I really like how it feels and rides.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I would say that I am open to a folding bike for commuter purposes. I have two "missions" that I am thinking about though.

1) the air commute to the office. I work remote and visit the office in San Jose once or twice a month usually. RHV is about 6 miles from the office. SJC is even closer, but tie downs for GA are ridiculous. For the air commute, the folding bike is the way to go. Alternately, I could probably find someone with a hangar I could store a bike in and just purchase a commuter bike and leave it there. Although, the folding bike option is nice since it gives mobility if you end up at a different airport for weather reasons.

2) Fly in somewhere for fun and have the nice road bike to do a long ride on. If the destination is more about the riding, then ideally I want my nice road bike. I know that mountain bikes will never fit, so that is a trade-off I am willing to make.

Mission 1 is the more common scenario, so a folding bike is probably the way to go.

It continues to sound like a slider is the most flexible option for baggage loading.

Morgan

Bikes in back

You can fit two Bromptons in the back of a tip up 6.
They ride really well. Same wheel space as a full size.
I prefer them to a normal bike. Over 1000 miles on my Brompton last year.
I think they are the best. But then I'm totally biased.
6 speed is great.
Google Brompton cycles

Great cycling and flying.
Rob

RV 3 bought flying.
RV 8 slow build on fuse.

Cannondale Full Suspension Mountain in a 6

Canopy off, pedals off, wheels off, loosen bars and rotate handlebars, bag wheels, stuff it in, canopy back on, get going. Soft luggage bags. No problem.

RV6 N918MB

Just came to the forum from looking at the Solowheel at Amazon. Two of these babies would fit nicely, 28.5# apiece.

Mike V.

Pics rock

Acroflyrgirl - glad to hear you passed on HomeEc and followed through on flying. Not enough women aviators.
We are a bit outnumbered at WINGS seminars too, as I discovered last week. 100 entrants. I look around this big room and see a sea of men, then another woman came in....ahh, got the percentage correct with two of us.

I can not say about a full size bike but Citizens folding bike Toyko model fits great in a tipper.
Jack
Those look pretty nice. Any idea if the Gotham XL might fit in a 6 tip up? As I look at these options it seems the 20" wheels are the key to fitting.

All,
I have a 6A slider and because I have the Meski "tip up slider kit" installed I can get my full size Shwinn Montaque in easily.
If you can fit a full size bike in your Meske mod canopy I'll assume it is partly due to your slider not having the roll structure that my tip up does. Pretty dang cool mod. I've never seen one.

I wish I could find one.......I have an open vacancy for such :rolleyes:
We're everywhere. All my girlfriends are pilots or motorcycle racers, or both.

You can fit two Bromptons in the back of a tip up 6.
They ride really well.
Rob
I have heard of these bikes, any idea how they compare to the Citizen mentioned above?

Canopy off, pedals off, wheels off, loosen bars and rotate handlebars, bag wheels, stuff it in, canopy back on, get going. Soft luggage bags. No problem.
I would love to see any pics of this setup. So you pull the tip up off complety? Actually I would like to see pics of any of the above mentioned variants. Maybe I can fly/cycle afterall.

Would it be possible to build some "pockets" into the baggage compartment wall so the back of the bike frame can extend into the tail section?

Sorry no Cannondale Pics from 2010

The way I got it in, over at Harris Ranch where my buddy flew it in his A36, was to remove the canopy complete, and drop it straight down in. Reverse at final destination, Trout Creek farm strip. This is probably too much trouble for routine travel, unless you install the mod that releases the rear of the canopy. That would be a 2 person operation. So yes it can be done in a few minutes, but I will admit it is not totally "no problem', sorry for that. But the Cannondale is a BIG bike. Spectators on the ramp were greatly entertained by the process.

For a promise of a couple beers, I will reinstall it and take a few pics, later this week. Otherwise use your imagination or meet me at COE some day for a demo.

Mike Bauer RV6 N918MB

1) the air commute to the office. I work remote and visit the office in San Jose once or twice a month usually. RHV is about 6 miles from the office. SJC is even closer, but tie downs for GA are ridiculous. For the air commute, the folding bike is the way to go. Alternately, I could probably find someone with a hangar I could store a bike in and just purchase a commuter bike and leave it there. Although, the folding bike option is nice since it gives mobility if you end up at a different airport for weather reasons.

I was commuting by air a couple times a week for a few years. It was really great! I found someone at the destination airport building an rv9a and traded some bicycle hangar space for some assistance riveting his wings. Way easier to just grab the bike out of a hangar than extract it from the baggage area!

I think every pilot should find a way to make flying to work happen. Really a fantastic experience.