dhall_polo

Well Known Member
I'm fitting my intersection fairings, and my goal has been to have them on the snug side. For those painted and flying, what is the the conventional wisdom for just how close a fit to shoot for? All I can really see in my shop is leg flex with weight on/off the tires, but I imagine there's potential for slightly wider envelope with taxi and landing forces.

Thanks,

Don

Don,
Doesn't matter what kind of gaps show when sitting on the ground. The goal is zero gap in flight.

USe some anti chaffing tape on gear leg intersection..

a little teflon tape on the inside of the fairing will help slow down the inevitable abrasion that occurs. Those fairings move a lot and will dig into the gear leg fairings over time.

fairings

I agree with JonJay. Get 'em tight with gear leg off the ground, and use the teflon tape strip around the leg fairing. Also, smooth up the inside of the fairing where it contacts the tape. I painted mine on the inside contact area as well, and the slick urethane painted surface seems to be holding up well. You might even try a little silicone jelly smeared on the contact area, like NAPA Sil-Glyde. Good stuff, and won't hurt urethane finishes. These things move quite a bit when landing and taxi loads are applied, and they require some extra attention to detail if you want them to hold up and keep thier appearance. Don't forget to clean up all of the dirt and grit that builds up in the intersection whenever you have the pants off. That will help keep them from showing wear and tear.

Hope this helps,
Chris