patterson

Well Known Member
Patron
I'd appreciate hearing from Motorhome and trailer campers that go regularly to OSH. Just bought a new Motorhome and my first big trip is planned for OSH this July. Where is the best place to park, etc?
Ron
N8ZD
RV-4 flying 3 years now:)

Ron

I took the Motorhome to OSH in 2003. It was a great time. Motoring from the Canadian West coast (250 miles inland) to OSH in three full days, swapping drivers between my brother and I.
We "bunked out" at highway rest areas which was free. The Dakota's didn't allow overnight stops. We arrived the day before the start. We ended up with a five minute walk to the gates.
Lots of folks bring bicycles and leave them at the gates. I understand that if you want a spot basically right by the gates you'll have to be at Camp Scholler the week before the event.
There's lots to see and do. We did four days "full out" and were ready to head West with our fill of OSH. Good time, good people, all with similar interests.
Regards

Last edited:
This will be year 26 for me camping at OSH, one if these years I am going to fly my RV there! Anyway, several options at Camp Scholler, depending on your needs. Have a pet? The pet area. Also an area for handicapped. I always stay in the 24 hour generator area, I like having the option of running after hours if the weather gets that hot and humid at night. They will also have limited hookups this year but I don't have a clue how they will dish them out. The bottom line is this, there is always room, but everything is on a first come first serve basis. I usually go a few days early, some people go weeks early to get the spots in the trees... I volunteer in the campground each year and help park people, I always stay right next to the Camper Locator Shack, stop by and say hello. Hope this helps. Glenn

sleepy hollow and camp scholler

Camp Scholler is a small city for that week. It is, by itself, a unique Osh experience. Sadly, there's no power or water hookups, and there are rules about running generators into the evening.

Sleepy Hollow is a private campground embedded within the airport environment. It has water and power, no sewage. It's located next to the blue lot at the main entrance. It's an easy walk from Sleepy Hollow toCamp Scholler and the Fly-in Theater.

We did the motor home thing last year. I've done tents and hotels before. Each has its own pros and cons, but the motorhome was probably the best blend. The downside is that it's a pain to fly the RV and drive the RV to Osh. I did that last year, and I'm considering leaving the plane at home next time.

What he said

Sleepy Hollow is the perfect solution if you are taking family. The power and water is a huge benefit for kids, wives that want to crash with AC, or a little tv time. I know I know, not the rustic osh experience, but...works for me. Next year 2011, I hope to fly my plane and sleep under it and be real basic, this year...wife and kids, Sleepy Hollow already booked. 2 minutes to the fly in theater each night for movies, 5 minute walk to main gate. LOVE IT.

camping

Sleepy Hollow is great. We have our trailer right along the road every year, works out great.

Circle R

Another off-campus option is the Circle R campground a few miles directly south of the field on Knapp Street. They have Full Hookups (usually booked up), Water & Electric (might be booked up), electric only (usually available) or primitive. Most folks leave a deposit for the following year when they leave. There is a camp bus that runs every hour to the grounds for a small fee. They are right on the approach path for Rwy 36.

Been going there for 5 yrs. You can reserve ahead of time. Nice to have electric, BUT THEY DON'T ALLOW AIR CONDITIONING (would probably melt their transformer if everyone turned on at once). THe other downside is you don't get the on-site experience.
http://www.circle-r-camp.com/

Whether you are in a motor home or tent, IMHO the best spot in Camp Scholler is Woods 101 straight in from registration (other than Paul's Camp which you have to be there weeks ahead to get.) Last year you could get a spot early on Saturday, but Friday would be better. CS is mainstream camping and goes to support EAA, which I think is worth something. You will get to know the people in any area as they tend to come back to the same place every year. Have a great Oshkosh!

Bob Kelly

P.S. It is good to see I'm not the only one planning for Osh. I just bought a new tent and air beds. We are down to 154 days until the opening, so better get cracking!

Last edited:
Deb and I were there last year for a week. It was the maiden voyage for our new fifth wheel. We arrived late Sunday afternoon and stayed in Camp Scholler, way out in Camp Scholler. We will be arriving on Friday this year.

Ricatic

We've been staying with Jeff, Barb, and the bunch at Sleepy Hollow for the past 8 years. Can't say enough good things about them. The last thing I heard or saw, they are going to have a dump station available this year. There's also lots of kids in the camp ground, so if you can't find yours, they're there, probably playing with all the others. Just yell for 'em and they'll show up.:)

Marshall Alexander
OKC, OK

Camp Scholler

has been our home at OSH for the last several years. If you're equipped with a generator that can handle your AC, the camp is pretty comfortable. You will learn some boondocking skills). Water and sewer dump on site (but you have to either drive or carry portable tanks). Lots of camaraderie and you don't have to deal with the OSH traffic during rush hour. It's usually easy to find a spot during the first weekend. If you have a pet (and we've seen all kinds), the best spots in the pet area fills up early.

OCCASIONALLY, we get too much rain and the place can get pretty muddy. If so, just extend your stay a couple days and things will dry out. I usually carry some 2' by 2' 3/4" plywood squares to put under my jacks in case the ground is too soft to get reasonably level.

PM me if you need more camping info for newbies. Linda and I lived full time for a couple years in our RV after retiring...

I've been there twice and camped (with a travel trailer) at Kalbus Country on the shore of Lake Winebago (very close to the EAA Sea Plane Base). I think that I may have missed a little by being away from the site, but later in the week when I was a bit tired, it was nice to get away from the crowed. Full hook-ups available at a few sites, and water and electricity at all. Holding tank pump-outs are prompt and reasonably priced. If you want to get in a little fishing or just boat riding, Jerry has boats available to rent, too.:)