rv9aviator

Well Known Member
My fuselage is on saw horses with no legs so the bottom is only about 8 inches off the ground. It makes it much easier working inside for me at 5'6".

How high off the ground do I need to raise the fuselage to trial fit the wings?

Thanks

Oh, about 8" will do.

My stand was only 8" tall plus the height of the wheels, call it a foot +/-. The only problem will be fitting the flaps on an 8" table, they might hit the floor.

PS:

Here is a picture of the stand I used when building my fuselage. It should give you some idea of what I was talking about in the post above.

and here is a picture of the fuselage sitting on the stand with one of flaps installed:

My stand is similar. Works fine for wing fitting.

One note... Not sure about the 9 but the 7 fuse & wing does not come with the wing root fairings, they are in the finish kit. This is a good time to go ahead and fit them so if you don't have them, you might want to order them.

DSCN5722.jpg

Will I have to get under the wing for any reason, like hooking up aileron tubes tocheck the fit or does that come later?

Just getting there myself..

What have you guys done to offset the weight of the first wing while getting the second wing lined up? I planned to support the first wing from underneath once it is attached, but am curious if there were other tricks I should know about.

Roger
-9A slow QB

My fuselage support was 11" high. It was okay for the flaps, they would touch the floor when not connected to the pushrods, but I laid a piece of styrofoam down to protect them. A few more inches would have been really nice for doing the pushrods and especially for drilling the wing root fairings.

You will need to get under to the inspection holes to connect up your pushrods if you are going to do that now.

As far as tricks to hold up the wing on one side, I did this (notice the cargo strap holding it up):

DSCN5714.jpg

Office chair.

What have you guys done to offset the weight of the first wing while getting the second wing lined up? I planned to support the first wing from underneath once it is attached, but am curious if there were other tricks I should know about.

Roger
-9A slow QB

Adjustable hight office chair..Its padded with foam, infintely ajustable and happens to be exactly the correct hight