kevinh

Well Known Member
When I built my RV I knew that I wanted to learn a bit about aerobatics, but I didn't do aerobatic testing during my phase I. So, just recently I received a few hours of instruction on the basics (loops, rolls, cuban 8s and a spin training refresher). I also trolled through various good posts on the matronics archive and Dan's site.

Since both my instructor and I thought I had a decent understanding of how to do these things, today I put my RV back into phase I (briefly) so I could fly off the aerobatic tests I didn't perform initially. I had a blast - way more fun than the aerobatic trainer I used while getting my instruction.

A few notes from a complete aerobatic novice (take with a grain of salt, but I'm so happy I just had to post something):

* Aileron rolls are easy-cheezy (but still, please get instruction)
* Loops take a bit more attention, mainly because the stick forces are light compared to the trainer I had been using. Definitely need to calibrate the wrist and gut as to what a 3-4G pull is based on the G meter.
* Yep, RV spins do become fast quite quickly. After about a turn, I was done. Fortunately the recovery was straightforward.
* I'm going to add a more aft row of seatback hinge eyelets to the floor of my 7A. The parachute is a bit thicker than the stock cushion and places the crotch rather close to the stick. :eek:

To those that have an aerobatic capable RV, if you haven't tried acro you should definitely at least spend an hour with a competent instructor. I can already see how practicing even these simple maneuvers will improve my skill as a pilot. Besides, its the best roller coaster ever.

If you are looking for a good aerobatic instructor in the bay area, send me a message. I liked the fellow I worked with at Attitude Aviation in Livermore. After practicing these basics for a few weeks, I'm going to go back to see what else I can learn.

Last edited:
And a question on loops

Also,

For those that have been doing loops & cuban 8s, what power setting have you been using through the maneuver? Based on the Van's manual I used a 140 kt entry speed today and about 65% power. This worked okay, but two issues:

* If my initial pull was about 3Gs, then things got a little too slow for comfort as I reached the top. Would you recommend something more in the 4G ballpark?

* I think I still need to work on the top part of the loop, a couple of times the carb sputtered because I got too close to 0 G.

I'd be eager for any advice.

[ Update: the following great thread has lots of good info: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=4128&highlight=loop+aerobatics ]

Kevin

Last edited:
Parachute???

Congratulations on the aero, Kevin,
However, I think you must have missed the posts earlier this year regarding exiting an RV 6/7 with the sliders or the tip ups. It was generally agreed on that you CANNOT open a slider in flight, although some folks have put quick-release pins above the rollers on the sliders to hopefully get rid of the canopy completely in the event a bailout is needed,
Regards, :cool:

pierre smith said:
However, I think you must have missed the posts earlier this year regarding exiting an RV 6/7 with the sliders or the tip ups. It was generally agreed on that you CANNOT open a slider in flight, although some folks have put quick-release pins above the rollers on the sliders to hopefully get rid of the canopy completely in the event a bailout is needed,

Heh :) . I was one of those people with the pins.

Has anyone tried to force open an un-pinned RV slider ----- while inverted? :D Just curious...

I was talking to John Harmon yesterday and I asked him what brand parachute he wears at Reno. They don't wear parachutes. (if you have enough control to fly to attitude; they expect you to have enough control to put it on the ground safely.)

Anyway, back to topic-- Kevin-- I use 140kts. for Loop entry also and I see 3G on the meter. FWIW

mark manda said:
Anyway, back to topic-- Kevin-- I use 140kts. for Loop entry also and I see 3G on the meter. FWIW

Thanks - about how much power on engine?