Hello, I am looking at buying my first RV and am looking for advice on what to look for as far as knowing I'm buying a safe solid airplane. I'm looking at a RV9A with an IO320 and constant speed prop. It's a very basic panel and the airplane has only 321 total time on everything, but has not been flown much at all in the last year. Started up and ran well on a run up test but before I do the official first flight and make the deal final, I'm needing to know if anything in particular I should be looking for. I'm in New Mexico, and also looking for a close very knowledgeable RV mechanic to do a annual and a well check over on it, if anyone knows anyone close. Thanks a bunch for any and all input!

one item among many, review the fuel system and verify SBs are complied with. have another RV builder look it over. builder integrity and aerospace build method knowledge are the most important.

Just because the plane has flown doesn't mean that there aren't lurking issues. And on average, half of homebuilts have wiring problems. Be careful! And good luck.

I recommend you contact Randy Richmond, our way-RV-savvy A&P here at 52F (he's a VAF advertiser) and see if he's available to fly out to Clovis to do a pre-buy. Randy is fantastic.

You might check with EAA Chapter 179 in Albuquerque http://eaa170.org.

I'm with Chapter 691 in northern NM (Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Espanola and beyond). I don't believe we have an 'RV' A&P around up here although we do of course have RV's! Also, Chapter 555 in Las Cruces may be worth checking.

Good Luck

Bob