keepup

Boy oh boy! Someone bring me back down to earth. I was blessed to be given a ride in an 180 hp fixed pitch RV-6 yesterday. Holy smokes what a ride! Unbelievable aircraft. If you think it, it goes there, and fast! Responsive to the point of twitchy, which for me, who is not yet a pilot, I can only imagine the joy which comes with a little experience. And what a view from that tip-up canopy. We did a low altitude fly-by over a small turf-field and the speed seemed so effortless at 30% power. What a clean airplane. I did not want the experience to end. My excitement to build my dream has just gone up exponentially. I can only imagine my 200 hp RV-7A with a constant speed prop. Wow! For all you builders out there with the mid-build, lack of motivation blues, keep it up! You're building the equivalent of a Lamborghini for less than the price of a Honda.

Best regards,

Pounder

You're building the equivalent of a Lamborghini for less than the price of a Honda.

Well, I don't know about that Pounder...;) Must be one NICE Honda! :D

Your post comes at a good time for me...I'm one of those 'mid-build lack-of-motivation blues' guys. Every time I get another ride in an RV, the motivation shoots thru the roof!

They are fantastic flying machines, and while they do cost more than a Honda, it's still a GREAT deal, and the air equivalent of the Lambo!

Get goin'!

:cool:

Last edited:
A different view

When I got my first ride in an RV it was in "Old Blue" flown by Ken Scott. I had already ordered the kit and I was attending the builder's class offered by Van's Aircraft at that time in North Plains, Oregon. I had 3 to 4 thousand hours at that time in low to modest performance single engine airplanes (Cessna 150 to a Turbo Arrow IV) - nothing sophisticated. In that time of cruising around Ken rolled it twice and I just flew it around did some steep turns, etc. Responsive but smooth flying - definitely not twitchy. I found it to fly just like every other plane I had flown and ignorantly I was put off a little by the lack of difference. One thought I had was that I was going to go through years of building and I was going to end up with a little two seat airplane less suited for travel than our Archer II. My sustaining motivation was the ability to do my own maintenance and and afford to continue flying after retirement. I continued building with visions of Gold Lindys and cross country air races in the future. Now that I have completed the airplane and flown it for four years I appreciate how fast and reliable it is. When I am ready to go it is always ready to go and it gets me there quickly. It never won diddly squat in the beauty contests in spite of my efforts but it's beauty grows in my eyes all the time. It also gives me something to think about and work on in pursuit of more speed in my retirement years. "Out of the box" it flew 170.67 kts at 6,000 ft density altitude and I have been able to work that up to 181.3 kts. It is a near perfect airplane.

Bob Axsom

Wow! I stand corrected. It was actually a tired 150 hp. Not even 180. Amazing what these things will do with the power (or as some might say, the lack thereof).

I agree with OXUSER about the tailwheel. You might as well learn now when it makes little difference. Hundreds of thousands of pilots have done it before you. You will love it!

Then, consider the RV-8. Like Bob said: the RV-6/7 is nearly the perfect aircraft. I agree. IMHO the RV-8 is the perfect aircraft.

geez -- Danny beat me to it

now that you've gone and flown in one and know the secret-you gotta love the -8, the tailwheel, the cool view out each side!!

It's too late now........

.......is what a Cirrus owner told me yesterday after I took him for a ride in my -6A! He was amazed at how "smooth and comfortable" the controls were/are. Now he's looking for a good -6A or -7A reasonably priced since he mostly flies the Cirrus solo and 200 hours a year.

Yep, after a few rolls and 4 point rolls with him doing a few, he's just gotta have one. Addictive it is, I tell ya!

Regards,

I had my first time in an RV-8 a couple of weekends ago at an EAA meeting. The experience is a whole nother magnitude above flying 172s. It was just pure fun. As the pilot took off at a 45 degree angle into the sky and did some high-G steep turns I found that RV-grin forming on my face. We also did some aerobatics, and he let me fly too. The plane was very responsive and easy to control. I can't wait to start building!

RV grin

Has anyone flown the 2180 sonerai II? So far I've been motivated enough in my 7 project just enjoying the RV grins of others and imagining the sonerai on steroids. Just wondered if anyone knew how the two planes compared as a flying experience. Anyone flying through Fort Scott this summer wanna give me a first hand RV grin?

Max Self
TWs reign
Waiting on a wing kit