briand

Well Known Member
Well... I decided to start tail-wheel lessons to see how it goes, it was a Taylor Craft with a 65 hp Cont.. Let me start by saying I was humbled. I was a little guilty of the "it has wings doesn't it" mentality, needless to say it was a challenge. However, I am confident I can get the hang of it but it will take a little more training than I had originally expected, I am determined. I will keep you guys posted on my progress if you want.

Sounds like a blast!

You?ll get the hang of it and have a blast doing so. I?m guessing that you came in a 5 mph too hot and floated into the next county? :D

As the former owner of NC36296 a 1941 BC12/65, they are a blast to fly and if I still owned that old T-Craft I wouldn't be building my -9.

They are just so much fun to fly, I sure hope the -9 is the same. 65 hp, two people, 96 degrees and 2100' of grass w/ trees at both ends will make a real pilot out of you.

Just wait until you spin the thing. Not as slow as a J-3 and not as tight as a Luscumb, just about right.

Good luck getting the endorsment, it will be worth the 10 hours or so and then you will wonder what all the hype was all about.

PS. Don't roll the thing! Long wing T-Crafts have been known to shed a wing. Clip wings are another story altogether! :D

PPS. I used 60 mph for everything, Vx, Vy, approach, etc. More so since the POH has more info on how to rig the plane than how to fly it. Stall on mine was about 38 mph so those numbers worked very well, 55 if I really wanted to push it. What is your instructor telling you?

I remember when I got my tailwheel endorsement what a humbling experience it was for me, too. 12 years of Cherokee driving gave me some really bad habits. It took me about 15 hrs to get my act back together, but by then I was doing cross winds with one main on the runway for near the length of it. What a hoot!!! I had a really good instructor and we had a blast. I did my endorsement in a 7ECA. It seemed the worse the wind was the more fun it was to fly in it, to a point. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gone tailwheel with my RV, but I really enjoy my 7A. The endorsement and 70 hrs in my SeaRey definitely made me a better pilot in any case.

Roberta

Keep up with it in no time you'll wonder how you've figured out how to keep the thing straight and you'll wonder what the big deal is... but don't forget to tell your nose dragger friends how 'hard' it is. :)

chuck

I learned to fly in my '41 T-Craft (N36125) in 1967 out of a 1900' strip with a school at one end and a church at the other. We never thought of it as short. Congratulations. You won't have any trouble.
Mel...DAR

N941WR said:
As the former owner of NC36296 a 1941 BC12/65, they are a blast to fly and if I still owned that old T-Craft I wouldn't be building my -9.

Just wait until you spin the thing. Not as slow as a J-3 and not as tight as a Luscumb, just about right.

PPS. I used 60 mph for everything, Vx, Vy, approach, etc. More so since the POH has more info on how to rig the plane than how to fly it. Stall on mine was about 38 mph so those numbers worked very well, 55 if I really wanted to push it. What is your instructor telling you?

Same TCraft, 1941 too.

I asked about doing spins but the instructor has never done them so it is unlikely we will spin during my training. I was hoping we would.

Vx=55 Vy=65 stall=45 engine out=70 Cruise @2050 rpm =~85 approach=60 55 on a real short field

24C has 2 turf strips, 1 long and 1 not so long. They are both fun, check em out below

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/24c_19048_7.pdf

http://www.airnav.com/airport/24C

briand said:
I asked about doing spins but the instructor has never done them so it is unlikely we will spin during my training. I was hoping we would.
Tell your instructor to get some instruction! I can't believe there are CFIs out there who have never spun an airplane. I'm much too often frustrated by the CFIs I hear about. They don't make instructors like they used to!!!

On a positive note, welcome to the taildragger fold. Now you can beat your chest like the rest of us. ;)

T-crate trainer

I feel your pain!..I also "learned" in a T-crate....5 years later I still have it and love to putt around the countryside in it. It is probably the reason my -4 isnt done yet! I bought my BC-12D in central Florida,took my neighbor CFI/tailwheel check pilot with me to pick it up,and flew it back to North Carolina...needless to say, it was an adventure! I live in an airpark,so for the next couple days I just went back and forth til I could carry the tail up all the way down the runway.I will never forget how difficult it seemed. Then my "instructor" got back in and made me do that on one wheel,then the other..it really hones your skills quick and will teach you invaluable crosswind landing skills...Anyhow, 400 hours later,I cant see why any airplanes have nosewheels! (sorry -A guys)...Good luck!
Long live the T-crate!
Bill

To me it was similar to my privot pilot training....once you get it....you got it. I personally love flying taildraggers. I have alwayse been attracted to the old school stuff. Sure once you are in the air they are similar but I like the tandom seating of the Decathalon and Citabria that I fly. I like the feeling of flying with a stick, and it's just plain cool. When you fly taildraggers you are more rudder conscious and I believe an overall better pilot. IMHO.

I began tailwheel training with a friend. He had a different take...he stopped at 7 hours. He never became comforatable with it and I don't believe he would ever fly solo. Nothing wrong....matter of fact he is smart to realize his comfort level and stay within it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Me....I'm a tailwheeler! RV-8 in progress.

Donald
RV-8 Building
N-284DP reserved

Apes

dan said:
On a positive note, welcome to the taildragger fold. Now you can beat your chest like the rest of us. ;)
And here I was thinking that only primates do that...

::rimshot::