rwarre

Well Known Member
Planning on starting up the engine on my 7a tomorrow. Would like any suggestions for checks so I don't miss anything. I have the wings on, all controls connected, radios and instruments work, canopy and windshield on, and wing incidence checked. Thanks

fuel leaks, fuel pressure, oil pressure, magneto's, alternator voltage, cycle a C/S prop if you have one (although it always doesn't work the first time), fuel flow -- if you have the gauge, switch fuel tanks....

But don't run it too long either. Needs to be under the load of powered flight.

L.Adamson --- RV6A (flying)

edit: and tie the plane to something. New brakes don't always work well either. Some have to be broken in.

Last edited:
Oil is pretty important too.

I suggest pulling a plug from each cyl, disconnecting the line for the pressure sender, and cranking the engine until you get oil starting to flow from the pressure sender port.

Hook up the pressure line, wipe up the oil, and continue cranking till you see pressure on the gauge, then put the plugs back in and start.

After a couple of minutes, stop the engine, and check EVERYTHING that can either leak, or vibrate loose, or otherwise cause a problem.

Good luck.

What Mike said

I am a believer in getting that oil pressure up before starting. I cranked by hand with the oil pressure line disconnected as mike says. It took quite a bit of spins for that oil to come out the line. It has to fill the filter then the oil cooler and all the lines. I though something was wrong and then all of a sudden a mess! Then once connected back up she saw pressure right away. I saw 20 lbs hand spinning the prop. Then I cranked it a little with the starter motor, put in the plugs and off she went.

Adamson hit the nail on the head.

Tie the tail to something solid & chock the wheels. You don't want to end up on You Tube chasing an airplane down the street.

Make sure have helpers nearby.

I had somebody outside watching things. I had my fire extinguisher inside that I bought for the plane. I left the plugs in, all fittings on. I cranked the engine over for about 20seconds at a time for two times. Pressure never came up for oil, dynon, it would cut out on crank. I didn't tie the tail, just put a 2x4 in front of the front wheel. My first attempt to start didn't work, found that I crossed the left two cylenders on the wires, electronic. Next attempt and the engine fired right up, oil pressure right away, that's important. We shut the engine down and checked things. Found two mag wires loose and a fitting for one of the injectors was on with one thread. Started again and ran great. Not really a big deal. Just make sure your throws for the cables are correct , you should be ok.