pierre smith

Well Known Member
To you CFI's out there: Have any of you soloed a student pilot in an RV-6A or -7A?

Or to any student pilot RV flyers: Did you solo your RV? I have a prospective buyer that would need to be soloed by me. He has 70 hours or so in a Skylane and flies the RV really well for a first timer.

Thanks,

Hi Pierre,
I am pretty sure Bernie from the Ohio Valley Rvators soloed his grandson in his 7A.
I will look for his email and send it to you

Checkride?

If he has 70 hours in a skylane, why doesn't he just take the checkride and then you just do the transition training?

If he has 70 hours in a skylane, why doesn't he just take the checkride and then you just do the transition training?
Because he wants to buy the RV to save himself paying $$$$/h for the Skylane?

Apparently he's much further away from the checkride than just taking a checkride.

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I'm a low-time student pilot (currently not flying due to being a full time law student) and intend to get into flying more serious once I'm gainfully employed (I start next fall and would probably be in a position to start flying seriously in 6-months to a year from then). I am pretty well set on buying a flying RV (and building eventually) and I think would prefer to buy an RV early and take instruction in that rather than pouring a lot of money into renting Cessna (also, even as a student pilot I can appreciate the difference between a delightful sport plane and something with less inspiring handling characteristics).

Because he wants to buy the RV to save himself paying $$$$/h for the Skylane?

Apparently he's much further away from the checkride than just taking a checkride.

I guess I just assumed if he was a pretty good stick in the RV and had 70 hours in a skylane he should be ready for the checkride. I just know that changing planes in the middle of training cost me 8-10 hours learning the airplane especially stepping up from a flying brick to something a little faster/better handling.

Back to the topic, there is a member here who soloed their son in the RV I believe but I don't remember who it was.

Unless you are going to finish up his training I would be inclined to transition his instructor. A "solo" student left without good supervision is a disaster waiting to happen, expecially in a sportier plane.

All of which brings to mind....

I have about 800 hours now in my Archer.
(Sadly, still an RV wannabe).
I have now come to the point where I have flown and landed enough times in enough places and circumstances that I'm comfortable in my ability to land my airplane well in most instances and, equally importantly, with knowing when things might get dicey.
I would hesitate to put a new pilot too early into an RV because I think it's desirable to get a fair bit of experience in a more forgiving craft. Get of few of those really crappy landings behind you before having to tip toe around that nose gear.

just a thought...

Steve

A person I know was signed off to solo in a RV3 from his friend/instructor. Ripped the tail wheel out before logging 10 hours in his logbook. Instructor had a nice sit down with the FAA.

So would an RV be advised for a first aircraft?
I ride street bikes, and there are alot of guys that jump onto a 600 super sport, which is the type of plane i would classify most rvs into, and then very few guys start on a 1000 which would be like a p-51, and they tend to get hurt...
I want to put money into only one plane and keep it, and for me that plane is an RV4. Nothing else gets my interest the way this plane does.
I learned on a zenair 701, at the age of 14, and was told that I learned fast, I was doing very well after only 5 hours I was able to do an entire flight with no control inputs from the instructor.
I wouldn't want to rush into flying and getting myself or someone else hurt, but I do have my heart set on this plane!

Each has to determine their own comfort level. If I was the CFi there is no way I would solo a student in it..ya I was a fast learner too but when I found myself 20' above a row of hangars with full flaps with the stall warningblaring at night after having crashed into the runway threashold...well let's just say I was not so impressed with my abilities at that point

Oh btw...in the UK it's illegal to ride a 125cc as a learner. It's not a bad policy! I used to ride a 1000cc crotch rocket....after 30000 miles on a bike it was fine...the RV is not a trainer by any streatch!

Frank

yes

I know a guy who built an RV-6. I gave him his first lesson, soloed him, first solo cross-country, private reccommendation, and checkride...all the -6. Not sure if that's a first or not. Did it take some extra hours? Sure, but so what?

I'd say solo him when he's ready, regardless of how long that takes. Or if you are geographically separated, get the airplane to his place and let his primary instructor solo him when he's ready.

-Jim

Safety is primary.

Everybody is different, but I am a newly minted pilot with 60 hours. I did 1.7 hours of dual in an RV-7A. I felt behind the plane the whole way. No way would I feel comfortable flying one by myself. Now, the 9A is a whole different story. I felt comfortable flying that plane from the get-go. I think for me to get comfortable flying a 7A all by myself...maybe 10-20 hours dual. I'm a newbie and I don't want to be a statistic. The question you have to ask yourself as a CFI is, sure, they may be able to "fly" one, but what if one of the what if's happens and the pilot has to call on all his/her resources. Will they be able to properly handle the plane? Safety first, horsepower and speed second.