Rabidsnipe

I read the rules before posting this, and I have to say that it was unclear, if this post is off base, deleted. To avoid deletion I'll include this token "RV phrase". I really want to build an RV, I'm just not building yet.

Today I flew for the first time as the only occupant of the airplane; it was quite possibly the greatest feeling in the world.

My instructor, Bryan Rudd, had been telling me for quite some time that he thought that I was ready to solo; all that was left was taking a pre-solo checkride with the owner to verify his opinion. Weather and scheduling issues had drawn this process out for several weeks. This last week I went up on Tuesday and went through all the manuvers: slow flight, stalls, emergency procedures, unusual attitudes, ground reference manuvers, patterns, etc. All was ready to go for Thursday. But then freezing temperatures, freezing rain, and low overcasts blew in and grounded our flight for Thursday.

I talked with my instructor and he said that he would be gone almost all next week. I called up to the FBO (Crabtree Aircraft, Guthrie-Edmond Regional) and they said that the weekends were booked but they had a spot open on the C152 from 2:00-5:00 on Friday. I normally don't get off until 3:45 but I figured this might be my last shot for more than a week, let's take it.

I didn't find out that Glenn (the owner) was available to go up to give me the checkride until about 1:00 on Friday. So I rushed to get my things together at work so I could leave just before 2:00.

I got to the airport and the overcast was 2800' AGL (more on that later) and Glenn said that we could probably "squeak it in". The cloud cover was quickly moving off to the east and in another 30 minutes or so it would be clear. The 152 was still in the hangar as it had just completed its 100 hour inspection. I did a through pre-flight and went back to let him know I was ready.

After Jason pulled the plane out and fueled it we hopped in and were ready to go. Glenn was saying that we were just going to go up and fly the regular procedures just like Bryan had taught me; I was still nervous. I checked the weather and winds (32004KT) not bad for a checkride.

We took off and departed to the west while climbing. A little bit before 2300' I asked Glenn if we shouldn't level off at 2300' to stay clear of the clouds. "Now, let me ask you Chase, is that 2800' AGL or MSL?" "Good point." I was obviously still nervous.

We went up and did power off stall, slow flight, sharp turn, emergency procedure (engine failure), turn around a point, and then came back in and did three landings (2 no flaps, 1 20 degrees flaps).

On the ground Glenn commented that I had just done some nice flying and that he agreed with Bryan that I was ready to solo. We went back inside and Bryan came out to take me up for one last pattern. On short final a private jet (I forgot the type) pulled out onto the runway to take off, :( and we went around for another pass turning cross wind early. We eventually got back on the ground and we went inside and he filled out my logbook and medical and let me loose.

I got back in the plane and starting working through the checklists once again. Checked the weather, once again, calm, clear and 7 miles. Not quite clear and forever, but close enough for today.

I made my radio call, "Guthrie traffic Cessna 5265L is taxing to runway 34, closed pattern, Guthrie traffic." So there I am almost to the end of the taxiway to do my run up when I hear, "Guthrie traffic, Cherokee xxxx is taxing to runway 16, Guthrie traffic." :eek: I was a little intrigued by this. I had been in the general area and in the pattern for about 1.5 hours now and 34 had been the runway in use the whole time. So here I am about to take my first solo flight and I'm about to use the wrong runway??

No big deal, after my run up I called to him and asked his location. I then informed him of my intention to go ahead and take 34 and stay in the pattern. He seemed understanding and thanked me for the position update and intentions.

Clear the area, taxi out, and firewall the throttle. Over the bump in the runway, hold the nose up slightly for the nose wheel shimmy, hit 60 knots and I'm flying. Turn crosswind and find the Cherokee still at the end of 16. As I turn downwind he starts to take off. I end up calling that I'm going to fly an extended downwind to allow the Cherokee to clear the area. Once he's off and has made his turn to the SE he calls back that he is clear. I turn base and come in for a landing that was "acceptable" as Glenn had called it.

Around for one more shot. This time I try 20 degrees flaps. Bring it on around, turn to final is spot on, I've nailed the glideslope, 2 whites 2 reds on the VASI all the way down, pull the flair as I get closer to the ground and she just floats onto the runway and **squeak** :D. The best landing I've ever had; I actually laughed in my headset. I thought that I ought to call it a day at that.

It never really dawned on me that I was in the plane alone until I cleared the runway and made my radio call. Holy ****, there's no one else in here! I guess I was just so focused on doing everything else that it never really dawned on me.

Got back to the FBO and was all smiles. There were several folks in the lobby there to congratulate me and Bryan had the scissors out already. I asked about the runway 34 vs 16 and he said that 16 is the preferred with calm winds; he swore he told me:p.

Congratulations on your first solo at Guthrie! I can relate, as I soloed there too on September 19th, 1973. You have many great adventures to look forward to.

Congratulations, Chase! One of those incredible memories that don't go away.

b,
d

Great job

Great job.
I did my first solo 20 years ago and life got in the way of finishing. Keep at it. I just passed my ppl checkride last week and am now 100% a pilot. Its worth the time and trouble...keep at it and get er done. I was sorry for 20 years i didnt finish it up when i was a teen. I seemed to be a little slower learing this time around. When you finish order yourself some plane parts!

I call them One of those life moments

I remeber it like it was yesterday, There I was all alone in what was in my mind was the mighty "C150". I had just done three touch and goes with the instructor when we parked by the terminal and shut down. He got out and said " Now its your turn" . I looked at the EMPTY seat next to me and said "Here we go, It's all on you now". So off to the active, did my run up, announced my intention and off I went.

Man this things really climbs solo:p
Did my three touch and goes, by myself, alone, making all my calls and greased the last landing:D. I pull up to the terminal were my instructor was waiting shut the plane down and noticed I forgotten to turn the radio on:eek:. When i got out he asked if I was talking on the radio and I assured him that I indeed made all my call but I had forgotten to turn the radio on.:eek: Good thing it was a podunk backwoods Mississippi airport.:p

A life moment indeed.... Rates right up there with getting married, Seeing you first child born and the first flight of a just completed, by you, RV6A..

Life is good....

Congrats! Memories of the first solo... right after leaving the ground I thought... "Well, I have no choice but to land this thing myself." Still in the top three greasers I've had.

Now your on to even more fun... the 300nm solo Xcountry!

Keep it going, don't stop.

Really brings back memories. I soloed in one of the first Cherokees and I remember that, at least on that flight, it was a huge airplane. I didn't think I could reach all the way to the far wall it was so empty. Congratulations, and it sounds like you are on your way.

For me, the second most memorable flight was the first flight in an airplane I built. Start planning for that...

Bob Kelly

Chase,

Congrats on your 1st solo. They sure climb like crazy when you are alone, don't they?!

Chase,

Congrats on your 1st solo. They sure climb like crazy when you are alone, don't they?!
Bryan, my instructor, and I joke around with one another quite a bit. It's not uncommon for their to be at least one "your mom" joke in the course of a lesson. I gave him grief about how much room there was when he wasn't in there.

Thanks for all the congratulations and encouragements; it means a lot.

Oh, and I think I've been planning for the first flight in an airplane I built longer than I've been dreaming about this one. But it still was one sweet feeling.

congrats man!! that's really cool!!

weather, and scheduling, and work... :( my first solol should be within the next 10 days.. :D

Still Magical

I will never forget the feeling when the mains left the runway behind on my first solo because it made my knees start to shake. " HOLY KRIKEES I AM FLYING ALL ALONE!!" To this day I smile about that moment 16 years ago every time I think about it. I do admit that I still cherish the very instant the wheels break free . MAGIC...

Congrats, Man! We all understand your giddiness. I soloed 5/10/05 and it will always be one of the most memorable moments of my life. When I turned downwind that first time alone, I was awestruck by the fact it was just me, the airplane, and the blue, blue sky. It was so cool it made me laugh out loud. And talk about climb?!? My instructor - who normally wedged in that C172 with me - weighed 300 lbs. When he climbed out, the 172 climbed like a U-2!!!