Fishfood

I'm New Here
I'd like to send a huge thank you to Tim (sorry I didn't get your last name) at KEDN for my first flight in his RV-8A! You have a beautiful airplane and only cemented my long time desire to build an RV. Thank you again.

You have a beautiful airplane and only cemented my long time desire to build an RV. Thank you again.

So when are you starting?
What model? Nose gear or tail dragger?
Got the options picked out?
What engine?

Tic, tic, tic. Time to order your kit.:)

Re: Thank You

David,
My giving you a short RV ride pales in comparison to your service to our country. Thank You for your service. Any time my back seat is empty, you are welcome to fill it. Happy building.

Tim Pethel

David, best of luck on your build. Once you fly in one, it is hard not to want one. I like the Rucker area. We visited several times when our son was in flight school.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Mike - Thank you.

Philip - I'm leaning towards the RV-8. Not sure if it will be an A or not since I don't even have a tail wheel rating yet. Now that my deployments are slowing down the time to start is getting near.

Tim - I will have to take you up on that. I'll make sure to buy you that beer too.

Adam - That's my fault for being an idiot. I was so thrilled I didn't even think to snap pictures.

David, I should be at Mother Rucker this fall for the WOSSC. I'm hoping to bring my -6 for the trip. I'd be happy to go flying with you, I'm sure it will feed that motivation a bit.

By the way, get the taildragger, you'll have no issues with it.

Take a peek at the schedule of events prior to picking up my airplane in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=100293

Sounds like the TW endorsement will be a good opportunity for learning and a new challenge then! Come over to the conventional side the flying is fun and the airplanes are sexy :D I hear the RV-8 is pretty docile TW airplane and no harder than my Citabria I used to own... Plenty of great instructors out there to show you the ropes.

Oh and if you get started with a tail kit they can be either gear options so you have time to think about it while building and if you decide on a 7 let me know! I might be willing to sell you mine cause I have been thinking lately I want to switch to a 8 as the wife doesn't seem to care either way....

Doug - Beautiful plane you have there. Send me a message when you get your travel dates so we can get together. Even if you can't bring the -6 I would still like to buy you a beer and pick your brain about RV ownership/flying.

Adam - I do plan on the TW endorsement at some point. I'll have plenty of time to decide on which route to go. I think a large part of whether I build a -7 or -8 and which gear setup it is will largely depend on the wife.

David,
I live out not far from HAATS in Colorado. I have a good friend who is an instructor there. If you get out this way, let me know. There is some bbq near Rucker. Our son would take us to a place just off base that I can't remember the name. I will find out.

I went to HAATS in 2010. I wish I could go back there again. There's a ton of good BBQ around here. My favorite is Larry's.

231 BBQ

231 BBQ. Hwy 231 between Ozark and Dothan has great "Q".
My friend who is an instructor at HAATS is Mark Grayson. He has been there for quite some time. My son was at Rucker and got checked out in Blackhawks. A year later, he got a chance to go to AH-64 school in Arizona. Now he is the company commander of his AV unit in the Idaho National Guard.

I went to HAATS in 2010. I wish I could go back there again. There's a ton of good BBQ around here. My favorite is Larry's.

Side by Side

David,
If you'd like a ride in a 9A, I would be happy to accomodate! That way you could have a perspective of both. I'm in Geneva, just south of you.

Paul,
I would love to get another perspective on the RV's! I am going out of town for a couple of weeks. I will PM you when I get back and maybe we can meet up sometime. Thank you for the offer.