jeffsvan

Well Known Member
First power up of GTN 650. Need to go back to the install manual and search, but will ask you guys to make my life easier:

We powered it in the hangar so it could not acquire GPS satellites.
Got a -'cannot Acquire location' ERROR-(makes sense), as well as 'check GPS antenna cable for shorts' ERROR.
Took it outside and it found Satellites quick and the -check for short of GPS antenna Error never came back. I assume there wasnt an issue? It just displayed this when it couldnt acquire our location?

I am using a grey code altimeter with a Serial converter. I assume all is working well as i dont get any errors. On the GNS430W there was a screen you could access to actually look at the data stream from the Altimeter. Is there something like this on the GTN650?

During the Power up screen the 650 will display the OBS heading. It is showing 5 degrees off. My OBS is a GI-106A. The OBS is set to 300 degrees and the 650 is saying it is set at 295. What is a fix(calibration) for this?

Otherwise the COM seems to work great, and the unit is working nicely ---so far...

Took care of the OBS issue on the setup screen.

Have not had any more antenna cable errors.

I am now able to see the serial data coming in from the Encoder.
Just trying to figure out how to decifer it.

I'm sure you already know this, but if you hold down the "home" button during power up, it will take you to the setup screens. You might be able to find answers to the serial data question by poking around on those screens. Do you have a copy of the installation manual? It has a ton of good details on this sort of thing.

Yes I have the manual and have found the screens. Looking at raw data coming from the encoder. Showing 2500 and some symbols. I assume this means 2500 feet which isn't correct as home field is less than 1000?

I'm out of my depth on that one, sorry. I don't have the manual in front of me, and I certainly don't pretend to be an expert on this equipment.

more Encoder

Still having issues with encoder altitude and RS232 interface.
I am using an old Narco 850 encoder (grey code) with a used Icarus 3000 serializer(RS232) into a GTN650.

Decided to get rid of all the clutter and purchase a Trans Cal modern encoder.
One less box, less weight, and less wiring than I have now, plus a warranty on the encoder.

QUESTION. If I recall correctly the new encoder can output RS232 altitude in either 100 foot(default) or 10 foot increments. Which is best for the GTN650 ?

QUESTION. If I recall correctly the new encoder can output RS232 altitude in either 100 foot(default) or 10 foot increments. Which is best for the GTN650 ?

Hello Jeff,

I understand that either resolution will work with the GTN, so you may as well select 10 ft if it is available.

Thanks,
Steve

got the old gear removed and installed the trans-cal encoder and my GTN now sees 10 foot resolution!

now on to the next problem im sure i will encounter.

thanks to all the kind replies