wickedsprint

Well Known Member
Please forgive my newbness, I am still in the research stage. I was noticing that the F7497 Hartzell seems to have no rpm/resonance restrictions, but they also have not done any aerobatic testing according to Hartzell. Does this mean that when you get the airworthiness cert on your plane, will it have an Aerobatic limitation since the prop hasn't been tested? Will this prop work with the angle and para valve engines..and does the para valve engine require any sort of harmonic balancer?

Since this is my first post, I'll take a minute to introduce myself. The name is Tony, I'm around a 100HR private pilot and I have realized the only way to get the performance I desire on my military salary is to build my own. I'll likely buy a beater Cessna 140 or similar within a year to get and keep tailwheel proficiency while building, then sell off after the RV is flyable.

I have my mind set on a slow build RV-8..mainly because you save a fair amount of coin, plus have the satisfaction of knowing how to repair almost any mistake that comes along, be it by builder error, or wear and tear..or physics..but hopefully not the latter.

I'm pretty well set on a 180hp parallel valve FI and will be building it as a very light VFR only minimalist flyer in keeping with the weight desires. No autopilot, no electric trim..etc

You guys have a nice forum here and I look forward to starting my build soon, deploying in January, starting training a few months prior, so the build gets held off until after I return. -Tony

There will be no limitations to your airworthiness based on prop choice. The only implication of the non-certified prop/engine combination is a longer (40hr) Phase I requirement. You get to pick what you can and can't do while you are in Phase I. The 7497 is probably the best choice for most people :D.

A couple other points... if weight is your concern, I doubt that the electric trim weighs more than the manual, in fact, I'd tend to think it'd be the opposite. The Parallel valve FI is a great option, I highly suggest a fwd facing induction (Horizontal) as opposed to the vertical. If you are looking for light and simple now, start your slow build project! Most likely you'll have to push through a phase where you want to put EVERYTHING in your airplane (once you realise the endless options available). Push right through that phase and equip for your mission...

G/L with your build.

Welcome to the other Air Force.

As you go through this site, you will learn a lot and find out there are a lot of choices to make as you move forward.

There are very few bad choices you can make and the best part is if you do make a bad selection, you can change it.

A number of people go with wood props on their airplanes because they are both lighter and smoother than metal. The current favorite is from Craig Catto. (They have a long lead time but then so do you, at this point.)

As you build, you will have to decide between budget, function, weight, and desire when selecting options. You will soon learn there is no clear cut answer to any of the questions you are going to ask. Just build the plane you want and not the one others want you to build.