danielhv

Well Known Member
Im working on the Front Spar, attaching the main ribs. Directions say to make marks on rib flange to drill through spar reinforcements and spar to mount the main ribs. I drew them on the spar itself and drilled... problem is, I didnt see the part where it says that one of the holes will be off center on one of the reinforcement bars in order to maintain spacing on the rib flange. So, now Im stuck with some holes in my spars... If I continue, I believe my spacing on the rib flanges will be off for one of the rivets on each. Here are the pics:

1.JPG

2.JPG

Personally, I think those would be Ok, but here's what you can do if you want:

Trim off the existing flange of the rib and replace it with some angle material, same thickness and sized to give you the right edge spacing. I don't recall the flange dimensions, but if it was 5/8" then use 3/4" x 3/4" or 7/8" by 7/8". Rivet the angle to the rib to make a new flange and continue on.

Daniel-

I made the same mistake too. Called up Van's and their response was put a rivet in the bogus hole anyways, and put a third rivet in the middle.

I made the same mistake too. Called up Van's and their response was put a rivet in the bogus hole anyways, and put a third rivet in the middle.

Sometimes I think nearly everybody has a mistake on the inboard HS ribs! Here's mine:

20050515_holes1.jpg

mcb :)

One day I had an edge distance problem and called Vans about it. Tech support told me that there are only a few places edge distance is THAT critical. A secret to building for me has turned out to be, DON'T get caught up in the minutia, Learn from you're mistakes and try doing better next time. So far in my build I've replaced only 5 or 6 parts and have found that I probably really didn't need to repalace the first few of those.

That looks fine, Just add the rivet, and add a middle one. Ironically enough, I didn't make THAT mistake on the HS, although I almost blew the edge distance on an entire end rib...

Sometimes we get so caught up in the step 1, step 2 part of the instructions that it's best to take a step back and look at how everything goes together. I find when I do that, I make many fewer mistakes :).