paul330

Well Known Member
I have done about 15 hours on my IO-540 and believe it to be broken in. I have just done an oil change.

I split the old filter and inspected the paper - nada, nothing, zilch..... I was expecting at least some fine metal particles. Do I need to look harder (bright light, magnifying glass)? Is all well, or have I possibly screwed up the break in?

CHTs in the cruise are now around 350F. Oil was quite dark. First couple of flights, had a lot of oil on the belly but that has stopped and haven't added any oil for the last few flights.

All indications are that the break in is OK but I was just surprised by the apparent lack of fine particles.

Lucky dog.

You may be one of the lucky ones in this case. I have seen them go both ways. Making some scraps for up to 50 hours and then those we put together very clean and state to race and see nothing out of them. This is just me, but I don't like to say they are settling in tell they get at least 50 or more hours of under pressure time on them. Or loaded up as some say it. Keep checking you are doing the right thing here if you don't see anything by the third oil change and nothing is rattling you may be one of the lucky one with a good true and nice build right off the bat. Good luck, but it sounds like you have some of that now to me. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I have done about 15 hours on my IO-540 and believe it to be broken in. I have just done an oil change.

I split the old filter and inspected the paper - nada, nothing, zilch..... I was expecting at least some fine metal particles. Do I need to look harder (bright light, magnifying glass)? Is all well, or have I possibly screwed up the break in?

Look closely, yes, check screen, yes. Pour a pint and celebrate that your engine builder did a proper job of keeping the build clean! This means you likely have perfect looking main and rod bearings!

Cheers,