mkbreezy

I have had my RV-9A for about 6 months, and have been agonizing about bringing it to my 1250 ft grass strip at our farm. I really wasn't sure it would ever get home. I have seen many photos and videos of A models on their nose, and or upside down. Not a result I wanted for my own airplane. This meant a 35 mile drive to KRBW to just to go flying.

When AntiSplatAero arrived on the scene with the "Nose Job" brace for the A model nose gear, I immediately bought a kit. If it would work as advertised, it makes a slightly rough grass field a real option.

I installed the kit this morning, and then this afternoon made the flight to the farm. It is a short runway with substantial trees on both ends. It was not a great landing, but the airplane stopped some 400 foot from the end. The nose strut was obviously taking a beating, but the brace prevented any damage to the nose strut. Looking at the strut after landing I could see a very small mark in the paint where the lower cup contacted the strut.

So does it work? Well I have no intention of taking it off to find out if I go splat on my strip, so yes it does work. Its very easy to put on, did not change anything about ground handling or flight characteristics (so far) so it does work exactly as advertised.

Good job Allan, thanks for a great add on to the A models that I believe will save a lot of airplanes from an ignominious end on grass or dirt strips. My recommendation to all A owners is to get this thing, it may save you and your airplane.

Not in an RV, but I was a happy boy the first time I landed on my own strip in my 140. It sure was a feel good moment, and hope to re-live it when I finish the -8.
I got the small wheel down back version, and will use the larger 380x150x5 mains and a 7" pneumatic TW, to help with the rougher stuff.
I,m a long way from finishing the 8, but have started thinking about a 9A next, as the wife isn't keen on learning to fly TW. If I do, AntiSplatAero.com is now on my radar.
Paul

Good info

Mike, nice job bringing her into 1250 with trees on both ends:eek: Do you need to brake heavily to do this or is it all airspeed/energy management?
We have approximately 1400' useable for a strip and possibly another 450' if we modify the current alfala field. I'm thinking that 1400 will be sufficient. No obstacles on approach, but we are at 5700ft. But, I plan on pitching prop to use all 180 horses.

Paul, I plan to use the larger tires as well. Can you give me more info on your 7" Pneumatic tailwheel setup. Are you needing a new fork for that?

Airspeed

It's all about airspeed management. 55 to 60 kts over the trees, a slip holding that airspeed, then the round out will very quickly dissipate the remaining speed such that the touchdown is firm at about 50. This leaves very little elevator authority to keep the nose up, so it does tend to come down in a hurry. Hence the "Nose Job". The grass then slows the airplane with very minimal breaking, and I am normally at a stop about 2 or 3 hundred feet from the other end. Practice is a must.

I'm thinking that 1400 will be sufficient. No obstacles on approach, but we are at 5700ft. But, I plan on pitching prop to use all 180 horses.

Ed,

I operate my 9A out of a somewhat similar strip. It is about the same length but lower at 4300 ft altitude, however I have difficult approaches with lowish obstacles at the threshold. I have hundreds of landings on this strip and use similar speeds and technique to Mike but without the need for a slip.

Some points to consider.
At 5700 ft, density altitude will be an issue and may give unacceptably high touch down speeds on hot calm days. Once stabilized on final at 55 to 60 kt IAS I always check my GPS ground speed and will not land if it is over about 65 kts as there would be some risk I may not be able to stop in time.

I think some type of stall warning/ AOA indicator with audio to the headset is a must so you know you are at the correct approach speed without having to take your eyes off the touch down point to regularly look at the ASI.

I limit both my takeoff and landing weight to about 1,600 lb

From your post it sounds like you are planning on a FP prop with a fairly fine pitch. It may do the job but I think you would be happier will a CS prop for this airstrip.

Fin
9A

Fin,

Thanks for the information. I wish I had a CS blowing up front, however my engine is a Lyc IO 360 l2A out of the newer 172R Cessnas. The plan is to practice a bunch at SJN and then either attempt the landing or not. Another 450' would give me the peace of mind for sure.

Can you give me more info on your 7" Pneumatic tailwheel setup. Are you needing a new fork for that?

Ed,

I just decided to give the Matco #WHLTW37 a try. It takes a 7 or 8 inch tire (I got the 7") and is the same weight as the light weight 6" that Vans sell, at 1.53lbs (wheel and tire. Stock is 2.4lbs). The wheel is nicely made but the tire comes in grey only, so I hit it with some Vinyl rattle can. Seems to stick well but will probably need the odd retouch.
I'll get the stock fork modified at a local welding shop that do certified aircraft work. Will post the results once it's done.

Bit of Xwind hit the thread here :eek:

Paul.