Rick6a

Well Known Member
..... Pick a career for the financial rewards and you'll hate it every day but payday.
Many of my friends are current or retired airline pilots. Some of these grey beards were only dimly aware of "experimental" aviation and immediate impressions of homebuilt aircraft were generally not very flattering. Alpha types tend to form and hold fast to strong opinions. I flew to Oshkosh this year with a 30 year veteran so far removed from the experimental movement, he's never even been to AirVenture before! He may never have made the trip had I not first introduced him to RV flight a few months ago. He reluctantly requested a lift to an airport to pick up his twin after enduring yet another costly maintenance problem. Clearly uneasy as he stepped aboard and strapped into the first experimental airplane in his life, all that concern quickly evaporated as we departed the traffic pattern. Another active airline pilot friend happens to be my next door neighbor. He has spent years commanding the left seat of one "heavy" or another. Yet when I gave him his first light plane ride in over two decades, renewed feelings of wonderment washed all over him again. A career high timer who flew E2-C's in the Navy and has had more than his share of career ups and downs while flying for a major, marveled at something we tend to take for granted, seeing the world from 2000'. Yet another naturally wary airline pilot, my friend Roger is a Citabria owner. He finally took me up on a long standing offer after turning me down on at least four other occasions. I gave him plenty of stick time during that flight of discovery and when his very first RV flight ended and I taxied into the hangar (nice perk), he did not want to get out of the airplane and sat there in amazement looking around for a full 5 minutes. :)

28u1ohg.jpg

Frankly, I was surprised at their common reactions. You would think "airline pilots" have seen and done it all. Maybe they have but for some of these folks, something has long since been forgotten. We may nurture Young Eagles, but there are Old Eagles too. I have to say...and this comment is based purely on my anecdotal impressions...the majority of my airline friends *may* have reconsidered their chosen career path if they knew then what they know now. All I know is flying has always been a blast for me and I hope never to become so jaded as to lose that singular thrill. I was a blue collar worker all my life thus for me, flying has always been an expensive elective. I inserted Grant's quote at the top of this post. It was taken from another recent thread because I did not want to hijack that thread but had to use his quote because it seems so appropriate. I know for a fact that economic imperatives have a way of making something that is supposed to be pleasant (or at least tolerable) into something far less than that. I've seen it happen too many times in my own work place when a promotion with more pay promised more than it really delivered. Now I don't intend for even a milli-second to dis on anybody's dream. Far from it. I say chase your dream for all its worth. But go for it with eyes wide open and adjust expectations for the long haul, when at some point the initial thrill and romance of it all will inevitably "mellow" and be displaced by the tedium of daily routine. Away from home & family for days at a time while overnighting in countless motel rooms is as much a part of an airline pilot's life as commanding a heavy and flirting with Mach 1 at the flight levels. As in all things in this life, choose your path wisely and then jump in with both feet.

Last edited:
Golden Handcuffs

...That's what an officer in a fortune 500 company told me about his 'job' which he is sick of. He can afford anything he wants except he 'can't afford' to change careers! Hence, Golden Handcuffs!

Illustrated by the story of how you catch a monkee by putting a banana in a heavy jar. The monkee sees the banana, reaches in the jar but can't get it out because he's not willing to turn it loose and lose the banana! So, he's captured.

Great write up Rick. I am a retired career corporate pilot and have many friends and acquaintances who fit your description perfectly. Some of them I have known since they first started flying and I have watched some (but not all) of them lose all, or most of the passion they once had for flying. Something about the realities of flying airliners or biz jets for a living can take all of the joy out of flying. Very sad. I am making an effort to reintroduce some of them to this particular joy. It is rewarding when you see someone regain some of that spark.
Old Eagles can still soar!;)

Yes, David...

...there really is a Santa Claus:)

I'm 64 and became so burned out about 15 years ago until I went turbine. Now ag work is again a joy but when the RV first flew in 2005, man did the fun begin again!! Grass strips, day trips with a happy wife to seafood lunches somewhere on the coast and giving friends rides, early morning Immelmans at sunrise and rolls, loops and doodads. Last Saturday was a friend's daughters 9th birthday. I spray fields next to their house and she always comes out and waves for 30 minutes while I work.

Her Dad approached me and said that all Madison wanted for her birthday was to ride with "Mr." Pierre.....no toys, no gifts, no cake, just a ride with "Mr." Pierre:D

How do you say no to such a request?? You don't. I fitted three Classic Aero boosters under her and launched. I think she's still smiling a week later. I remember, "Are those really cars?' and, "Wow, toy cows!!"...my favorite.

Regards,

Do something you enjoy.

For the past 30+ years I have been an active litigation attorney in a one man law office, and have never regreated my choice. Having said that, the majority of my clients have been the little guys who without me or someone like me would have been reamed by the legal system. Helping people like that has given me great joy along with a good living.

However during such period of time I have had lots of law clerks whose first introduction into the law was working in my office. The vast majority of them changed there mind about becoming an attorney after finding out what they might be getting into.

When both my daughters started considering what they wanted to do for a living I told each of them that they ought NOT consider being an attorney even though they could step right into my law office after graduation because neither of them have the thick skin that would allow them to walk through the legal fires they would face and come out the other side smiling.

One found her life joy teaching 6th graders (she even spends her summers taking 5th and 6th graders on world trips). The other one, after doing an internship in the hospital field went to work for a health care support company and seems to be very happy.

Late in life I was introduced to EAA and RV airplanes. Now I alternate my time doing two things I really enjoy.

Even beyond the thrill of hauling Young Eagles is the joy of hauling really experienced "first timers." In one week I gave rides to three pilots, each with over 10,000 hours. None had ever ridden in an RV and only one had ever been in an experimental. The first took it in stride, flying it like a Cessna, but very impressed with the experience. The second took the controls for only a few minutes and acted like he was "on eggs." His comments after the landing were very positive, but he was clearly uneasy at the start. The third (and most experienced--an instructor who teaches bush pilots and has done it all) took the controls, made a couple of turns to get the feel, and within a minute was doing 3 G turns, laughing all the while. "Wow, this sure handles nice!" He did a couple of landings (only one of three I have let do that) and greased it both times. I loved his comments about my "Sissy panel" being to easy to understand. Now THAT was a flight!

You're right, Rick. Old Eagles are at the top of my list. The RV offers a great experience, and these guys have the background to appreciate it.

Bob Kelly

What a ride

Darn, Rick, that was an emotional read for me. You're so very right about the elder airline pilots, many of whom have really taken a severe beating in the industry especially now.

Many of the captains I fly with are in their last few years. 30+ years in the commercial cockpit is the norm. What used to be a truly wonderful job is now a slog, esp after 9/11 and the financial turmoil in the industry. They've plowed a tough path for us younger guys, held up under all that pressure and work, and now many have lost their retirement dreams. It makes me sick.

What you did - giving that guy a ride - was huge. In every one of these older captains, there IS a fire burning. It saddens me to hear many of them say something akin to never wanting to see an airport ever again. But the truth is, they love flying, love airplanes, and are darn good at what they do at work. Just look at the safety record.

I can fully understand how a commercial pilot these days, so far removed from his flying of years past, would once again marvel at the ground from 2000 feet. Its in all of us, one way or another. By the same token, a GA pilot who hasn't seen the Northern Lights from FL350 over the North Atlantic, followed by sunrise over Ireland would marvel at that also.

Good on ya Rick, that was great.

hehehe......gotcha

It's called hehehe........gotcha.

I took my flight instructor up. At first he was a bit hesitant. Gave him the required "if we have an emergency" talk, then he started staring at the panel. "Wow", this is one of the nicest panels I've ever seen.......(one gotcha). Upon take off and letting him fly came a "wow, this is one of the best handling planes I've ever flown"..........(two gotchas).

After landing......"I'll fly in this with you any day"....(three gotchas).

To this date, after I've taken someone flying, I've never heard a reluctant answer when asked if they would like to go again.

hehehe....gotcha

For the fun of it....

I've been flying for 41 yrs... since I was 15. I came VERY close to flying for a living.... but stuck with engineering and driving a nuclear power plant instead. In retrospect, I'm glad it worked out that way. Flying as a job.... means you fly because you HAVE TO. For all these yrs, I got to fly because I WANT to and get to do it on MY terms. It's the "HAVE TO" that eventually takes the fun out of anything.... and it just becomes a chore.

Great post, Rick, but just to keep the record straight, not all commercial pilots ignored experimental aviation over the years.

When Burt Rutan showed up at OSH and started the canard craze, it was a life saver of sorts while languishing in the flight engineer seat with 10 years seniority. In fact there were a couple very favorite captains at the time also building airplanes, we would rent a car at lay over cities and go look at airplanes at places like Flabob or go to the Boeing surplus store in Seattle or get a tour of the Victor engine shop in Palo Alto. The Long EZ plan was part of the crew kit in those days and life was not nearly as boring as the job sitting sideways at the panel.

Along came the RV. One ride in the back seat of a friend's -4 and that was it. The EZ's are fun but the RV's are funner, hands down. :)

I've been at both ends of your post - it is a great report and very true.