skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
It seems like it's been an absolute eternity since I first attempted to get my PPL (started as freshman in college = not enough money), but the time and finances are finally in place to finish what I barely started and get flying again! I'm trying to figure out what I should do regarding a headset - go with a cheap pair initially and then eventually upgrade to ANR or something like the QT Halo, or just cough up the dough and buy a nicer set right off the bat. For those of you who are using the Halos, do you think they'll hold up as well as "typical" headsets? I'll eventually need a second set for my wife, so that has to factor into the equation as well I guess.

Any advice? Buy cheap and upgrade after I know exactly what I like in a headset, or take the plunge and buy a model that gets good reviews (like the Lightspeed Twenty-3G) and just hope that I like them? I'd like to try on a bunch of headsets, but there aren't many shops around here that have a very decent selection. I'll be at OshKosh next summer - do most FBO's have loaners I could use during training until I can try some headsets at Osh?

Brandon

PS - My wife says that I should start building an RV as soon as I've got some time built up, so I need to get flying and start on the RV before she changes her mind!

The Bose guys will chime in with their "get a BOSE or go home" advice. I think Bose is good, but not worth the loot. Every Cirrus driver gets 'em!

Me? I fly Lightspeed. My spare set is a Solo and my regular set is the Twenty 3G. It is big, but comfy and has good attenuation with dead batteries... not that I ever neded to fly that way.

They are just over $100 and just under $500 respectively.

When I tested the Twenty and Thirty 3G's against one another, I got the loudest Citabria I could find and strapped them both on. I pumped my smartphone MP3's and telephone inputs into it. People on the ground said it souned like I was on the ground! Aural performance between the two were NIL!

Get either the Solo or the Twenty!

My $0.02...

:cool: CJ

I'll just chime in with another plug for the QT Halo. Their quieter than my David Clarks and the comm's are clearer (lower gain mic, I think). We like them so much I just ordered Ellen her own set last night, and my expensive DC ANR's are now my passenger headhpones (lucky passengers). I'll never go back to the Princess Leia earmuffs again.

My first headset was a cheapy DRE. If they were still in business, or if you could find one in stock somewhere, I'd recommend those 'cause they're cheap and were WAY more comfortable than any of the other cheapys...on MY head, at any rate. YMMV.

The bottom line to all of this, though, is that personally I would forget the nice flight bag, all metal E6B, fancy calculators, and wizbang timer. Use a backpack, cardboard E6B, cheapy TI calculator and kitchen timer. Then take the money you saved and spend it on a decent ANR or earplug style headset and protect your hearing. It's so easy to protect your ears, nowadays, it would be a shame to do any unesscessary damage.

edit: just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with my David Clarks and Lightspeed's are nice too. I just like my QT's better.

Last edited:
Captain_John said:
Get either the Solo or the Twenty!
Skelrad, I second the LightSPEED recommendation. However, you can get a LightSPEED 15XL, a nice ANR headset without music and cell phone interface, reconditioned from the factory for only $250. It normally retails for $379 new. That might be a good compromise to consider, if you want really good performance at a budget-level price.

If you want an even newer model, the reconditioned 20XL's are only $300 ($439 new), and the reconditioned 25XL's are only $350 ($? new).

FWIW, there is nothing wrong with these headsets. Just a lot of people that want the newest model taking advantage of LightSPEED's trade-up program. I bought one of the recon 15XL's a few months back, and it looked and performed like new. It even came with a 1-year warranty.

Here's the relevant link, if you're interested...

http://www.anrheadsets.com/productsrecon.asp

Bose

Ok, I'm one of the Bose guys but I speak from experience. I've had different headsets from junk and up. The sound quality of the Bose is amazing, you hear everything very clearly. Just getting rid of the engine noise is only one part of the equation. I fly with a few guys that have different Lightspeeds and they all agree the Bose is better after trying them for a variety of reasons including the clamping force on long rides, much better sound quality, and they dont triple the size of your head sideways.

This said, I am also very happy with my David Clark 13.4's. They were a good headset to begin with and after I added the Headsets Inc. ANR to them they are very close in every way to the Bose at half the cost. In fact, one of the guys I flew to Oshkosh with this year asked if he could use them over his Lightspeeds for the trip.

So my recommendation is to get the David Clarks then enhance them later if cost is an issue now. Cheapy headsets are well....you get what you pay for. After you have been flying for a while and want to look cool and have the best, then get the Bose.

Now, if only someone would come up with a good headset with no cord.

I was in the same situation last year, so at Oshkosh I tried all of the offerings as close together as I could and made my decision then and there. I figured that I havent started in-flight training yet, and had no other major aviation expenses, so cost was really no object. Bose introduced their no-interest monthly payment option at the show, so that put me over the edge and I went for it. Here one year later they are fully paid for and I don't regret choosing them one bit. I always figure - get the best you can afford and you'll have no regrets later.

Bose, Bose, Bose...

Yah yah yah... I am SURE you like them!

No difference to me. Clarity, whatever...

Wicked Stick has 'em.

My buddy with the helicopter has 'em.

Sure, I have tried 'em.

I plug my Lightspeeds in everytime!

;) CJ

I'm with Mike. I've tried Bose and they are good. On the flip side, Clarks last. They accept huge abuse and you can always get parts if they don't. Plus they can be upgraded or repaired without help. I still have and use the H10-30 I got as a gift when I got my PPL in 1982. Now they're stuffed in a cloth helmet for open cockpit use. Only parts replaced are new earcups and headpad.

I have a Lightspeed that started shedding the covers on the earcups after a year or so. Lightspeed cheerfully offered to replace them for free, and updated the hedset at the same. I was impressed, and thankful. They work fine.

A buddy bought four sets of (nameless) yellow ANR's. The frames broke on three of them in the first year, among other problems. Overpriced ****.

Dan

I'm with Captain John. I flew from Savannah to LOE with Bose. My Lightspeed 20-3G was stowed away in the back of the RV-8. I couldn't wait to get them out for the trip home. The Bose are nice but I like the Lightspeeds better. The cell phone interface is great. I used it crossing the mountains back from LOE. I also use the headset when I cut the grass on the tractor. People don't even realize I am on the tractor when I talk to them.You can buy 2 Lightspeeds for the price of a Bose.

TSwezey said:
I'm with Captain John. I flew from Savannah to LOE with Bose. My Lightspeed 20-3G was stowed away in the back of the RV-8. I couldn't wait to get them out for the trip home. The Bose are nice but I like the Lightspeeds better. The cell phone interface is great. I used it crossing the mountains back from LOE. I also use the headset when I cut the grass on the tractor. People don't even realize I am on the tractor when I talk to them.You can buy 2 Lightspeeds for the price of a Bose.

Yessah!

;) CJ

QT Halo's

I've owned DC's (13.4's and the older models) and they are rugged and reliable. I've worn both Bose and Lightspeed's on long cross-countries.
Most of the replies you've gotten don't answer the question you originally posted. You asked about Bose vs. QT Halo's...
Back in July of this year, I bought one QT halo and as soon as I wore it on a long x-country, I bought another for my wife.
For some reason, folks think the price tag of less than $400 means they are cheap quality. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are extremely high quality. Give the QT Halo a try. Once you wear them for more than two hours, you'll wonder why you even considered spending over $500 for any brand of headset. The Quiet Technologies Halo's are great. I think they are better than Bose or any electronic noise cancelling headset including Lightspeed! Before anyone argues with me, tell me you've worn the QT Halo's for at least 2 hours. :)
Don

Don, I don't mean to be argumentative.

I am just joking around... ALL THE TIME!

Sarchasm is difficult to relay in the written word.

Tell me, the only thing that kept me from buying a set of these was the fact that I do ALOT of short hops.

index003011.jpg

Getting those things situated in your ears and all seems like a tedious task and once they are in place, you don't want to move them.

I had a set of similar earbuds for my snowmobile and they DID work great! The attenuation was WONDERFUL and I didn't have to crank my music just to hear it.Besides, it quelled the engine and wind sounds to boot!

They were really good on long, solo cross countries. It was a hassle to undo them and talk to a riding buddy.

Are these similar?

:confused: CJ

After you do it a few times, it takes about the same amount of time as it takes me to get my DC's plugged in and situated by the time I'm done finding a place for the battery box and repositioning my sunglasses so they don't break the seal. The David Clark battery box is just a stupid design, IMHO, and that one thing has irratated me from day one (although I like everything else about them).

If you don't get all bent out of shape about having to loop the little tubes around your ears and just let them hang down like I normally do, I get them on in seconds...certainly under a minute. It takes a little bit longer if you want to loop the tubes around your ears so you look like the guy in the picture :D. Maybe a couple of minutes...maybe a bit less. I don't even know why I do that. I guess I think it looks cooler, or something since it doesn't seem to make one lick of difference in comfort or performance.

Last edited:
More headsets

Own three headsets and Halos. DC, Lightspeed 20 Gs and a generic brand.

Have not worn anything but the Halos since purchased. If you prescribe to the truism "don't put anything in your ears smaller than your elbow", you probably will not like them.

Donning Time?

I get in the cockpit and flip on the EFIS aux power switch to let the computers start booting and the AHRS to align. I then fasten my harness and put on my Halo....and about the time I am done with that, the EFIS is almost up and running. It takes about 30 seconds for the EFIS to cold start, so I guess my harness and Halo take just about that long to don....and I never even thought about looping the tubes around my ears - they just hang.

Paul

Ironflight said:
Donning Time?

I get in the cockpit and flip on the EFIS aux power switch to let the computers start booting and the AHRS to align. I then fasten my harness and put on my Halo....and about the time I am done with that, the EFIS is almost up and running. It takes about 30 seconds for the EFIS to cold start, so I guess my harness and Halo take just about that long to don....and I never even thought about looping the tubes around my ears - they just hang.

Paul

I started doing it because QT told me that if I fly with the big window in the Citabria open, the buffetting on the tubes may pickup a little wind noise if you don't loop them. So of course, the first thing I did the day I got them was loop them around my ears, hop in the Citabria and flew all around with the window open just to see what it would do. No noise....

Then I put them in again just hanging loose, flew around some more...and...er...still no noise...

Now I just do it because it only takes an extra couple of seconds and it's a little neater. Honestly, I only do it about 1/2 the time now when I happen to think of it.

Where are you?

I think some of this depends on where you are located. In AZ, I can't stand to fly with conventional headsets. I don't like the clamping force and the sweat running down my neck. Also, I like to wear a large hat for sun avoidance. Can't do that with a regular headset.

I opted for the Clarity Aloft and haven't looked back. I looked at the QT halo but thought the quality was less than the Clarity. Same concept though.

Regarding the Bose, although the sound quality is nice it is not that much better than the Lightspeed 3G's. More of an image thing. If you want sound quality and clarity go for one of the earbud type.

The ultimate sound quality and quiet is obtained with a custom fit helmet. I miss that from the helicopter days!!!

David Clark

I've had mine for longer than Bose etc. have been making them and they still protect my hearing every day I fly, maintain communication very reliably and keep me in touch with the sound clues from the airplane. Another option is to stay home and watch TV.

Bob Axsom

Happy with my QT Halo. But I use the RUBBER ear buds, not the foam. It makes a huge difference both in noise reduction and also in how easy they are to insert in your ears.

What what about the issue of hearing protection. ANR may be good for cancelling some frequencies but not others...or maybe it just tricks your hearing...don't know how it works exactly. The head phones that clamp against your ears, it would seem to me, are actually keeping the noise out of your ears. I am not claiming to know just throwing the question out there. My headphones are David Clarks H10-40's modified with with an ANR kit...they reduce the noise tremendously...but they do hurt after a while...Ivan

RVWanabe said:
What what about the issue of hearing protection. ANR may be good for cancelling some frequencies but not others...or maybe it just tricks your hearing...don't know how it works exactly. The head phones that clamp against your ears, it would seem to me, are actually keeping the noise out of your ears. I am not claiming to know just throwing the question out there. My headphones are David Clarks H10-40's modified with with an ANR kit...they reduce the noise tremendously...but they do hurt after a while...Ivan

Without getting into techno-mumbo-jumbo, it really honest to God makes the sound go away and protects your hearing.

0.02 worth

Lightspeed cross country QFRXCc is a good value and is ANC. Most new head sets people buy I guess now have active noise cancelling. It is not necessary, passive is good enough for most private pilots who only fly say 100 hours a year. However, I'm going to guess RV cockpits are a tad louder than factory planes, and RV'ers tend to fly more than average GA pilots.

My recommendation is get the best you can afford. You may consider an old pair of Lightspeed 15XLc or 25XLc on eBay. Lightspeed I think still sells reconditioned sets. If you are a bargain hunter try eBay.

Green D-C's are fine and are iconic, meaning look cool, but they tend to be heavy and like head vices in my experience. You can get gel ear cushions and lamb wool head band cushions, which help.

I always loved my White Peltors (like out of production #'s 7004, 7104, 8003). They folded up (nice for renting and short training flights) and are light but not ANC. Again used on eBay.

Best to try any head set on and leave them there for hours. The fit is key and very individual. Unfortunately its hard to find all the head sets in one place to try on, except at a big airshow or aviation trade show, even than its rushed.

Not mentioned but if you want stereo performance consider the real pricy Lightspeed 3G series. I believe the top of the line Thrity 3G has better drives (speakers), but they cost $650.

If you are on a budget and want to have a pair to throw in the flight bag as a student go with the QFRXCc light speed or Peltors new or old passive. Their new passive model is the Sport GT and sells for $168 new on eBay. You can get good used headsets for $100 or less. If you must have ANC recommend the lightspeed for value and reputation. The down side of most of the Lightspeed models are that they are big and bulky, but the QFR is not.

Last edited:
I got a set of Lightspeed QFRxc2s from Marv Golden (Branded as their Eagle headset) for $230. I absolutely love them. My dad uses a Twenty-3g for himself, but I've tried it, and it seems a bit too bulky for me. The other nice thing about the QFR is that it relies primarily on passive noise reduction, so if you batteries go TU you can still stand the noise levels. The Bose can't claim that.

Edit, here is a link to MarvGoldens's website:
http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/goldeneaglemain.htm