I believe it was Allen Tolle, from the Backersfield area. It was blue,white and black. Just like the RV-6 he built before that, which I believe was the first customer built RV-6 as well. Cover article in Sport Aviation July 1991 according to the EAA website. If anyone has the back issue, it would be easy to confirm. Dave

6A

I'm looking for 6A's... On a mission here. Was it for sure a 6A? My first RV-6A
project license was issued on March, 19 1993.

Last edited:
Don't really think this one will be first but RV-6A, DAR Inspection 04-18-1991, first flight 05-12-1991.

Tolle

I am pretty sure its Alan Tolle, March 1991. He had the reputation in the 80's of building all the new RV models first and shortest build time, including the RV-6 and a RV-6A. He also helped develop the slider with Van.

3/5/2004, GA News, Tolle:
In 1980 I built an RV-3, then another while I was waiting for the RV-4 to come out. In 1983 I built the first RV-4 that was built by a customer from kits and plans that the factory provided. (Richard) VanGrunsven and I have become pretty good friends over the years. He knows I can build and he knows that I'll do it right. I built the first RV-6 in 1989, same thing, built by a customer from kits and plans with the first sliding canopy provided by the factory. Then I built another -3 and put in a rotary engine out of Oregon.​

He does not mention the RV-6A he built, but he build one.

JULY 1991, EAA "Sport Aviation" Featured Alan Tolle's RV-6A, as Dave Binkley said.

I found the data RV-6A data:

N-number : N19AT
Aircraft Serial Number : AT-5
Manufacturer : TOLLE ALAN E
Model Name : VANS TOLLE RV-6A
Manufacture Date: 1991-03-23
("Air Worthiness Test" date: March 23, 1991)

Other Alan Tolle planes:
TOLLE ALAN E RV-3
TOLLE ALAN E VAN'S RV-4
TOLLE ALAN RV-6
TOLLE ALAN E VANS TOLLE RV-6A
TOLLE ALAN E VANS TOLLE RV3R
TOLLE ALAN E VENTURE MODEL 20

Last edited: