bsacks05

Well Known Member
First flight of RV9 N659DB took place at Perry-Houston Co. Airport (PXE) in central Georgia. I am a low time pilot (<200 hrs) with less than 20 hrs T/W experience but this plane took care of me very well. Climb rate was incredible! Control response immediate, and rock solid stability. It was a short flight as I saw some lightning and rain showers in the distance. It took me three attempts to land because she just didn't want to slow down! I learned a lot about airspeed management yesterday!!! I can tell that this plane will be a patient and forgiving teacher and look forward to many hours learning the ways of the RV9!
Pictured with me after the flight is my daughter Diana and son Bruce
rvgrin13ha.jpg

Congrats Bruce. You need to fly it up to Blairsville, GA and show it off to us builders needing inspiration when you fly off the Phase 1.

Way to go

Great job and congrats on the flight. I only had 27 hours TW time when I flew my 7. I learned very quickly that you have to nail the approach speed or you will float FAR down the runway. Fortunately the RV is a great plane and will treat you nicely. You will adapt quickly.

Good luck on your Phase I. Fly often, fly safely.

awesome, another RV in Georgia!

Athens is just a heart beat away! Come see us

I passed 70 hours yesterday - what a blast

First Flight - TW-9

Very Cool Bruce!!!

Keep us informed on how the TW-9 handles - I'm planning one myself.

Scott Harding
RV-9 Slow building wings
Sugar Land, TX

N659DB

Had a good long flight today and she flys so smooth and effortlessly. All temps and pressures in the green on my IK Technologies engine monitor. At 8000' the air is so cool! I had in full right aileron trim, probably as a result of flying solo but may need adjusting. Faster than 70 mph on final seems to lead to a long float down the runway so pattern speed is critical but I nailed it on the first go round this time. It is really amazing how Van's can help an average Joe like me get into the air with such a high quality plane. Thanks for the well wishes and I look forward to visiting RVers in Georgia and everywhere else.

Come to KSAV!

Congratulations Bruce, and let me know if you ever fly into Savannah. I'd love to get a close up look at your achievement!

awesome!

Glad to hear Bruce, it has been fun watching these
come together, I bet your feeling pretty good about
now, can't wait to get there.. I am very happy for you..

Your Friend
Danny..

RV-9A in Georgia

Athough my RV-9A is registered to me at my home in East Ridge, TN...I have a friend who gives me hangar space just across the state line in Georgia. He is building an RV-8 with my tools and me giving him building tips along the way.

I am a native of Dalton, Georgia as you can discover on my web site about building and flying my RV-9A, N2PZ "Enterprise" since October 2002 beginning of construction, to first flight, June 9, 2005. Now, the Hobb's meter has 189.6 hours on it as of my return from Denver last weekend (June 25th).

You can see what I did during construction and my flights around the country. I have yet to make to the Pacific Ocean, but I have been to Oshkosh, the Great Lakes, New England, Florida several times, Texas twice, LOE5 in New Mexico (just west of El Paso), and recently to Denver and back on business. That last trip was the first one where I used a new video camera mounted on the dash panel with the sound from my intercom and radios being recorded simultaneously to the video tape.

As for travels in Georgia, Athens is not that far away, and also Blairsville is not that far from Chickamauga, GA (Chattanooga area).

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
www.n2prise.org

n92gc

Great to see another Nine in the air, congratulations. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. When you are comfortable with it come on down to Steinhatchee for a Grouper Sandwich and I will treat.
Gerry Chancey, RV-9 N92GC & J-3 NC88583

Hey Gerry and Jerry!

Jerry, I used your site extensively for tips on my firewall fwd installation since we both are using PennYan Aero O320's. Thank You. You get around a lot and I look forward to crossing paths.

Gerry, Good to hear from you. Grouper it is! After my 40hrs, my first trip will be to Ocala then on to Steinhatchee.

Bruce

We like the 9'er too!

We completed our 9?er nearly two years ago with an O-320-D2A and a fixed 79 pitch all metal prop. All I can say is that my wife and I love flying her! I had never flown an RV before the 9?er but had flown a number of other certified airplanes since the late 70's. I test flew her myself without any transition training or RV instruction and was amazed at the handling qualities. Slowing her down is the hardest part, but with 40-degree fowler flaps and that longer high-lift low-drag Roncz airfoil, you can get her down to 60 knots over the fence with amazing stability. However, I would recommend 70 knots before that for enhanced gust margin over the trees. Most other 6, 7 and 8 drivers that stop by our hanger are now acknowledging the performance and cruise of the 9'er and understand that it can keep up with the other RV?s given the same HP. Crosswind landings are a snap with the bigger tail, and a 14-knot crosswind feels more like a 7-knot crosswind to me. With a new Trio Autopilot and Garmin 396 now, we are taking overnight cross-country trips, and we really feel comfortable being in such a fast stable flying machine. :cool: It's not hard to see why the 9'er is Van's favorite, and why the staff at Van's draws straws to see who gets to fly her to and from the shows. Don't get me wrong, the 6, 7 and 8 are excellent airplanes too, but the 9'er has control harmony, balance and stability that is hard to describe in words. We just like the idea of a high performance airplane that is easy to fly!

John

Last edited: