B737NG

After 9 years of building my RV-8 flew for the first time today! It flew strait, with no snags. The weather was a little cold (- 20 C) on the ground, but it was a little warmer at altitude. The cold weather and strong I0-360 MIB from Aero Sport and Hartzell blended airfoil made for a great ride. I am very happy with the MVP-50 and Grand Rapids EFIS in my panel.

Of course this could not have been done without the help of many people. A very special thank you to my Father, without whom, the airplane would not be completed. I also had a great flight test crew with lots of experience.

An extra special thank you to Van's for the pink cowling...

Paul
Calgary, Alberta
RV-8 - 2.6 hours

46305424@N06

That's very nice and I'm glad you posted. I'm comming down the home stretch with my RV-8 and I need all the help I can get!

After 9 years of building my RV-8 flew for the first time today! It flew strait, with no snags. The weather was a little cold (- 20 C) on the ground, but it was a little warmer at altitude. The cold weather and strong I0-360 MIB from Aero Sport and Hartzell blended airfoil made for a great ride. I am very happy with the MVP-50 and Grand Rapids EFIS in my panel.

Of course this could not have been done without the help of many people. A very special thank you to my Father, without whom, the airplane would not be completed. I also had a great flight test crew with lots of experience.

An extra special thank you to Van's for the pink cowling...

Paul
Calgary, Alberta
RV-8 - 2.6 hours
A hearty congratulations from Ottawa. Fly safe. Have fun.

I assume you're a WJ guy with that handle and location. Say "Hi" to Darcy Granley whenever you run into him.

First flight

I'll second all the congratulations - sincerely! Did the snow worry you? How did the -8 handle on the ground in those conditions? As Kevin said fly safe and have fun. I'm getting fairly close too and you are a great stimulus to work fast and get flying!

Congrats! I'm going to have to save up for a paint job when mine is complete so thanks for giving me a preview of what my pink-nosed bird will look like.

Well done Sir.

Good News

I am in full compliance with the Canadian Regulations!

3. Initial Standard Operating Conditions - Amateur-built Aircraft

The initial operating conditions to be endorsed on a Special C of A for amateur-built aircraft shall be as follows:

(a) the specific base, indicated by Transport Canada, from which the aircraft can be flown so as to afford the maximum level of safety possible;

(b) the aircraft shall not be operated (flown) more than 25 nautical miles from the base mentioned in (a) except with written authorisation of the Regional Director Airworthiness (name of Region), which will be provided, taking into account the safety of the flight;

(c) the aircraft shall not be flown over any built-up area, or open air assembly of persons;

(d) carriage of persons other than for dual instruction is prohibited;

(e) aerobatic flight is prohibited;

(f) day VFR only; and

(g) during the first 5 hours of flight, the aircraft can only be flown only by pilots who have acquired not less than 100 hours of pilot-in-command on the same category of aircraft.

According to point D as long as it is for dual instruction (which it clearly was) I am fine.

Paul

Last edited: