dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Planning my first flight in my 10 in latter June or early July. The advice from the FAA for phase I testing (taxiing, stalls, slow flight) is at odds with Lycoming's advice to run 65-75% for 50 hours. I have spoken to Lycoming and they understand, encourage following FAA recommendations but limit abrupt throttle changes, adequate engine running to get into oil temp range and keep CHT below 435 or 400. Engine is a YIO-540-D4A5. Mineral oil for 50 hours.
What guidelines have others done to minimize cylinder glazing and allow rings to seat adequately?

What guidelines have others done to minimize cylinder glazing and allow rings to seat adequately?

In my opinion its all about CHT. Let it get too hot and they'll glaze. I let one cylinder hit 450 in the first hour (long story) and that cylinder had to be honed and re-ringed. I am with Mike Busch that you can seat your rings and break-in without a constant 75% power. It just takes longer. However, I like at least a few minutes of hard running to help out the rings.

Larry

I've always thought the first several hours were the time for engine break in and aircraft reliability testing. With that in mind, I flew mine very hard for the first 10 hours, mostly circling the airport and/or circling the perimeter of my fly-off area. In that 10 hours, I seated the rings, discovered a few things to correct, and learned to handle the airplane.

After that, I conducted the serious part of my flight test program.