jetjok

Well Known Member
In response to the discussion on a previous thread, I thought that I would pose a question to those with the experience of testing various aircraft.
Lets say that I am a builder who is intent on making the initial flight of my RV. Assuming that I have all the necessary experience i.e.: qualified in RV's, tail wheel, etc., but have never done a first flight, where does one go to glean information on developing a proper test program?
While I have not checked Van's web site, or looked at a recent builders manual, I assume that there is likely some info there. However, is there another readily available source such as EAA, etc?
Barring that, what do the "pro's" do to develop the initial test cards?
Maybe this has been covered in a prior posting, but with new RV's being flown for the first time each week, it might be good to keep the information in the forefront.

Mark...

As you say there is some info out there.

I am speaking from a UK point of view, where the "requirements" are somewhat different e.g. our "Phase 1" is only 5 hrs, although it often takes nearer 10...

My advice would be do not get over involved in being a "test" pilot. Unless your RV is markedly different to what Vans design, little of what you do will be truly innovative. Keep in sight the basics - it is amateur build, ensure the engine works, and keeps working (inspect after flight)... and approach each area as if something will fail.

Whilst your ambition to do the test flying is understandable, if you get someone who is truly experienced in RV's, especially your model, to do some of the flying (not sure if that is allowed in the US? in the UK we can nominate >1 test pilot), their observations will save you a lot of time / effort diagnosing any issues.

Andy

FAA AC 90-89A!

AC 90-89A is a document produced by the FAA as a guide for flight testing experimental amateur-built aircraft. It was written by the late Tony Bingelis among others and is a great read. You can order a copy from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Property Use and Storage Section, M-45.3, Washington, DC 20590. Or most FSDOs have them in stock.

Another vote for AC 90-89A....if only for the cartoons! This is NOT your average FAA Advisory Circular - it in interesting, informative, and entertaining at the same time. Very readable for the average pilot - and free!

Paul

Try FSDO

My FSDO (Milwaukee) gave me that circular in their "Amateur Built Aircraft Certification Package".

I worked with my transition training instructor to go over procedures for the first few flights. Also had a trusted "flight director" that was available
for questions and advice. Suggest keeping the number of people observing at the airport to a minimum to avoid falling victim to being pressured into flying.

Erich

I had very little RV time when my first RV8 was ready to fly. Having a guy like Jay Pratt do my test flight was a no brainer. When I finished my second 8 I had a couple hundred hours of RV time and considered myself a pretty good RVATOR. Again having a guy like Jay fly the test flight was again an easy decision. The test flight pilot decision is all about being able to deal with something going wrong. A guy like Jay has done lots of first flights and has the experience to deal with problems. Im about to finish my third RV and I have hundreds of RV hours. I hope Jay is available to come to Tampa.

My advice for a new aircraft first flight is to find someone like Jay to do it for you.

Pat Stewart

In response to the discussion on a previous thread, I thought that I would pose a question to those with the experience of testing various aircraft.
Lets say that I am a builder who is intent on making the initial flight of my RV. Assuming that I have all the necessary experience i.e.: qualified in RV's, tail wheel, etc., but have never done a first flight, where does one go to glean information on developing a proper test program?
While I have not checked Van's web site, or looked at a recent builders manual, I assume that there is likely some info there. However, is there another readily available source such as EAA, etc?
Barring that, what do the "pro's" do to develop the initial test cards?
Maybe this has been covered in a prior posting, but with new RV's being flown for the first time each week, it might be good to keep the information in the forefront.

The EAA has the Flight Advisor program which is allied with the Technical Counselor program.

http://www.eaa.org/flightadvisors

A Flight Advisor should be able to provide valuable info for a pilot contemplating the first flight of a custom-built aircraft.

When I did my transition training with Mike Seager, I asked specifically for first flight tips/training for my last hour---

Basically what he told me was to just do what we has already been practicing---------take off, land and maintain coordinated flight, and KEEP THE NOSE OFF on take off/landing.

As to the testing phase, the AC is good info, and Vans included a lot of good info in the plans package.

I did my first flight, and I am very glad it went well. Was I ready for it? Yes... up to a point. I see the other side of the argument better than before. I had a great adviser, yet I made two errors on my first flight. I reset the frequency after takeoff to the wrong com freq. I had a plan for radio failure, so I had no real problem and later found and reset the freq. I was a little fast on final, but the long runway forgave me that error. All in all, I was pretty well prepared. I am not at all sorry I did it.

Next week I will order the first kits for a 12, for the High School Eagle's Nest Project. I am already thinking of that First Flight, and I am the logical one to take it. I have 300 more RV hours, and hundreds of RV landings, yet at this point, I really don't know if I will do it. Time will tell.

In general, I try to not take any flight too casually. Altitude is your friend, and at first you have darn few of them! We now have a fence around the airport, and I admit that it scares me, a little anyway. A couple years ago we had a forced landing just short of our main runway that wouldn't be possible now.

If you are going to make that first flight, make sure you are a good builder. Unless you have lots of RV hours, you AREN'T an experienced (and therefore good) RV pilot. All this just comes down to risk management, I suppose. The odds are in your favor, but they are not insurmountable.

Bob