MrNomad

Well Known Member
I'm pleased to report that N557BD joined the sky today for the first time over Ryan Field in Tucson. The Superior O-360 we built in my garage performed flawlessly and by the time I turned downwind I had gained 1,400 feet of elevation. Two clicks of the electric trim and the plane flew hands off level. I could have taken a nap (haha). Eventually, I leveled off at 5,200 feet, circled the field a couple of times & just enjoyed the view.

Unfortunately, it started to drizzle and I didn't want to make my first landing on a wet runway so I cut the flight short and did a picture perfect landing. For months, I practiced "driving" my Cessna 150 onto the runway and that practice paid off big time. Plus, two hours of transition training with Dan Anderson in his 7A helped big time.

Aside from some computer settings, the plane was great and I sat back and enjoyed the ride. When I de-cowled, I found no leaks, nothing wrong, nada.

ADVICE? Yup, here's some. Given this was my first airplane project, this plane was inspected about a million times by seasoned people. Every nut and bolt was checked and double checked. The elevators were balanced separately and then together just like Roberta told us to do it. The lineup of aileron, flap and wingtip was perfect. We used a digital level to make sure everything lined up and came out with .01 on the bubble.

We got advice from lots of experts from Doug's website and local, more experienced people too. And we listened. When bolts were set, we marked them with Torque Seal so we always knew what was done and maintained Honey Doo lists for those jobs not done. Spruce care packages were weekly, if not more often, but we always stayed ahead of reqd parts so we could use reg ups.

Who do I thank? After my patient wife & her checkbook comes Doug for this fantastic website, Gil Alexander for his extraordinary inspections (when Gil inspected, I had a Honey Doo list that went on for days), Mel Jordan and of course Chet for his endless help.

Words cannot describe how much I enjoyed today. After 18 months of 7 days per week, the excitement and pleasure of such a stable airplane is nothing less than breathtaking.

Sorry, no pics of first flight but if you wanna see our project, please click on www.arizonaairparks.com/rv-completed

What would I do differently? Paint the fuse on a rotisserie.

Barry
Tucson

Last edited:
Yeeehaaaaa!

Barry,

That is great news. What a Christmas present!

Good luck with the rest of the testing!

BTW, I'm still in awe of off my climb performance with only 135 HP, I can't imagine what it must be like with 180!

RE:Congrats

Barry

Congrats not only for a great first flight, but for what appears to have been a fun and rewarding build process.:D

Frank @ SGU RV7A.........ndy.....bgc.......

Great

Hopefully your DAR gave you a fly off area with airports that have restuarants. Eloy is always fun.

Have fun on the 40!!!

Don't forget the first Saturday of every month at Coolidge for breakfast. That should be in your box.

congrats

Awesome... I love hearing about first flights - it's very inspiring to those of us in the middle of our builds. Also, very impressed that you built such a fabulous airplane in 18 months!!

King of the world for 15 minutes

Hopefully your DAR gave you a fly off area with airports that have restaurants. Eloy is always fun. Have fun on the 40!!!
Don't forget the first Saturday of every month at Coolidge for breakfast. That should be in your box.

Roger Ping was one of my mentors on this project and he called to remind me of Coolidge. The FAA agreed to 150 miles so that's easily within range.

To Bill Repucci who said: BTW, I'm still in awe of off my climb performance with only 135 HP, I can't imagine what it must be like with 180!

I installed low compression pistons in a 360 to facilitate auto gas and retain hp (172), but you're right, a 320 with low compression pistons would have been more than enough.

Even tho Roger warned me I underestimated the amount of right rudder needed to keep it perfectly straight on takeoff due to the fp cruise prop but I quickly adjusted. Next time I looked at the alt, I was at 3800 (1400 agl), shortly thereafter I was at 5200. In the C150 I'm used to, I had to make an appt 30 days in advance to get any altitude.

One of the other goals I had for this project was to minimize ugly vibration and noise. By triple insulating the floor and insulating the firewall and sides, plus dual mufflers compliments of Mr. Vetterman, it felt like a luxury liner.

To say that I felt like king of the world for 15 minutes today would be an understatement. Old men like me aren't supposed to have this much fun.

Barry
Tucson

Awesome

Congrats on first flight. I'll be up there soon in my 9A to join you. Inspiration is anew....Chris