David-aviator

Well Known Member
I've forever been fascinated at watching birds fly. Some just barely get off the ground, others are complete aviators in every respect.

Take the common barn swallow. We had a pair checking out our back porch earlier this spring, in particular a light fixture above a laundry room door that was quite sheltered. Last year I had to place plastic bag over the light until they moved on. This year we decided to let them build and see what happened.

Well, they went to work hauling grass and mud for about 2 weeks. The final nest is about 8 inches tall and nearly up to the ceiling of the porch roof. These birds work from dawn to dusk and I don't know where they get the energy. Watching them fly is delight in that they are so maneuverable, catching all manner of flying insects. And also, the male is very vigilant for other males and drives them off like a fighter pilot making very sharp turns staying right on the intruders tail until he gives up and leaves.

The female sat on the next for a couple weeks remaining unusually quiet. Until one day both parents began feeding what turned out to 6 new birds. We thought, this will be interesting.

For the past week, the nest was so crowded we thought for sure someone was going to be pushed out. But it did not happen. Every now and then one would nearly be pushed out but managed to flap his little wings and stay on board. The parents were flying locally every day catching dozens of insects and feeding this very hungry brood. It has been very hot - like mid 90's and the little critters were obviously suffering as they all had the mouths open gasping for air. I took an chance on causing a riot but decided to gently spray them with water. No riot at all, they genuinely enjoyed the garden hose rain and drank water as it sprayed on them. The parents buzzed around very concerned but no one jumped out of the nest. I did that 4 times this past week. Each time they seemed to enjoy the shower although the nest mud was becoming slightly unglued.

This morning, as if on signal, 5 of the fledglings took to flight at the same time. They followed the parents up above our pool in a swirl of birds and they were gone, just like that. One little guy remained in the nest. This afternoon one of the adults returned and #6 left also with the parent. We decided, well they all made it. The nest was empty and we figured that is the last we will see of that family.

Wrong! Just before darkness settled in this evening the entire brood of 8 birds returned. All 6 kids are back in the nest for the night. My wife wanted the nest removed and the mess cleaned up, but it looks like that will have to wait a few more days.

These swallows are interesting. They breed here in the northern hemisphere and migrate to South America for the winter. Some live for as long as 11 years making that trip every year. Most last about 4 years. Don't ask me how I know that, I read it on the internet.

As aviators go in the bird world, the barn swallow is right up there with the best of them. We sure have enjoyed watching this family of 6 new birds come into the world.

With regards to tearing the nest down, that is the worst thing you can do as far as bad luck things go. Much worse than black cats and broken mirrors. They will return next year and use the same nest if you leave it alone. Interesting account, I like to watch them too.
Bill

Big and small...

We have also seen more than usual bird families this year.

A hummingbird didn't like the fact that we removed vines on the patio to get the house painted, so mom built a nest overnight on a clamp that was in the rafters. We had to paint the patio around her until the birds flew away.
Just like your birds, they seem to just grow and overflow out of the nest.

This picture was taken a few hours before they left the nest and I got my clamp back. First flight was about 40 ft. at a constant altitude to a nearby palo verde tree.

humming-birds-A.jpg

Just after the hummingbirds, three great horned owls turned up in our mesquite tree, a mother an two juveniles I think. The first owls we have seen in 10 years living here. They seem active in the daytime, and I wonder if their initial flight training is Day VFR before they become nocturnal...:)

It got hot a few days ago, and one cooled off in our pool. It is standing on the top step of the pool with its feet actually in the water...:)

owl-2-A.jpg

The owl sort of fills up the 3 ft. bird bath -

owl-1.jpg

Like you Dave, I am also fascinated by their flight...
In AZ I do miss the seagulls of my youth though - they might be the most graceful.

We never did see an owl nest around, it must be a big sucker...:)

Last edited:
often great horned owls nest on very little more than a wide branch, in a protected area of a tree. I've had GH owls raise owlets on my property for the last 10 years, and about the same at my parents- never found a true "nest".

other web pages say they often take over other large nests since they are some of the earliest egg layers in the spring. maybe i have to look closer for some nests.

Last edited:
...My wife wanted the nest removed and the mess cleaned up, but it looks like that will have to wait a few more days...
I don't know about where you live, but my Barn Swallows (the nest has been here about 7 years now) raise two clutches a year. The first group flew a week or so ago.

P1020518.jpg

I find the minor clean-up insignificant compared to the joy of watching these guys grow and then fly. They are so close to my door that I regret disturbing them at night, when they are on the nest. Sometimes the adults or newly fledged chicks will take flight as I walk buy and actually brush by me. Now that's not so bad.

Now as far as these go.

P1020466.jpg

I just wouldn't want one of these nests at my front door!

Last edited:
bird cams!

There are some good online resources for watching nesting birds. The Hancock wildlife foundation has a bunch of webcams on bald eagle nests. The 'chicks' are as big as the adults now and are getting close to fledging, which will be something to see: http://www.hancockwildlifechannel.org/index.php?topic=cam-sites

Here's a site out of the Netherlands with cams on several different species: http://www.beleefdelente.nl/

It's really fascinating to see birds taking flight for the first time. Even among siblings in the same nest, they can vary a lot in how nervous they seem to be about it. Just like pilots :).

--Paul

Allow me to put in a plug for the Cornell University nestbox cams network

http://watch.birds.cornell.edu/nestcams/home/index

We set up a kestrel nestbox with camera a few years ago and got a pair, but sadly the male was depredated by a Cooper's hawk (right in front of our eyes) during incubation so the clutch failed. Since then, we've had starlings (invasive, unfortunately) and flickers (roosting, but not nesting), but no more kestrels :( . Still, we enjoy whatever birds we get, and the Cornell site has cameras for Barn Owls, Peregrine Falcons, bluebirds, and on and on. Highly recommend it!

And around here, looking forward to seeing the young from a nesting pair of Cooper's hawks this year that have taken up residence behind our house.

Some time ago . .

. . and to tie this back to people aviation, I was working at Love Field, Dallas. (DAL) The hangar we were in needed a new metal roof as the old one was rusting out. In came the workers tearing everything out and dropping it to the floor. What caught my eye was a nicely shaped nest - - made 99% out of safety wire clippings and lined with feathers and bird doo. Now that's what I call an airport bird. No way you could have washed that thing away. :D