sbarger24

Well Known Member
I would like to report my first flight!!:) My friend Bob Mills flew the first couple of flights, and reported back that it flew very well with the exception of a heavy right wing, but was easily controlled. I then flew the 3rd flight and came back with a RV Grin that didn't come off for two days!!!!!

One comment Bob had was how light the aileron's were and how fun it was to fly. Bob has a RV-6 with a IO-540 (Rocket 6), so he new the airplane! Thanks for all the support on this forum, and all of my friends out at the Reno Stead airport who helped me get where I am today!!

Thanks again!

Steve Barger
Weighed in at 1038 pounds with Superior O-360 and Catto Prop

Gotta have some pics bro!

Steve,

Congrats again...you built a wonderful airplane!

We had a fun time final-prepping and flying, and got the first three flights in on Saturday (.6, .6, .7), before the airport got more restrictive for the Air Races today (Sunday). Steve had just returned from transition training in Oregon, and we were both excited to get his nice -7 flying!

Friday we did another thorough inspection together, along with a multiple-offender RV-8 buddy and local guru, Scott. All looked good, so we did another engine run, then cooled and cowled, and did a taxi test (to 30mph...we've seen the threads and heard the stories on that and stayed conservative). I taxied out, Steve taxied back, so we could both get the feel. Airplane tracked straight and true, rudder was slightly effective, brakes burned in nicely, airspeed matched the GPS groundspeed...looked and felt good to us, so we put 'er to bed to rest up for the first flight.

Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous morning...perfect for a test flight. Steve shot this from the back seat of Scott's 8, who is also a former F-4 guy and adept at formation, so he was the perfect chase pilot...there, but not in the way or a distraction.

sbfirstflight0.jpg

Rare Bear thought the conditions were pefect too, and on flight 2 we shared the test area, me at 7500' and him at 8500'. Kinda cool! Here's a shot of Steve's plane on flight 1:

sbfirstflight1.jpg

We made a few adjustments, mostly to the aileron trim, which was slipping back to neutral, so we tightened the block that held the trim, and changed the trim springs, as one was "sprung". Then off on flight 2. Great flying machine, for sure. A bit lighter on the controls than mine, and a delight to fly. We'll get that heavy wing sorted out, but it was really fun to fly...I wanted to hog more time, but it was time for Steve to fly his baby! Here's his first approach & landing (done nicely, I might add!)

sbfirstflight3.jpg

And as he taxied in, you can already see the grin!

sbfirstflight4.jpg

Here's the RV grin...4 years of blood, sweat and tears...well deserved!

sbfirstflight5.jpg

A great day...out havin' RV fun!

sbfirstflight7.jpg

Some quick thanks to Scott, Dan, Walt, Greg and Mike (the local team) and to Paul (Ironflight), Mel (Mel) and Brian (Brantel) for some great gouge on AC 90-89 and some words of wisdom from experience; and to Kahuna, for publishing your test cards...going to good use again!!

Congrats again Steve...enjoy flying your beautiful RV-7! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks Everyone!

Its sure nice having a flying airplane!! Had the cowling and some of the inspection panels off while they race planes around me and everything is looking good. Back to flying after the Reno Air Racing is done.

We dropped the right flap one turn of a rod end bearing hoping this may correct some of my heavy right wing.

:D