339A

Well Known Member
On 9/11/05 at 6:12 PM, N339A made its maiden flight on a beautiful Colorado evening with my good friend Ret. Cdr. Dave Petri at the controls. The EIS engine monitor showed exactly 1:00:00 hour at the completion of the flight. Only issues were a heavy left wing and a slightly high number 4 CHT.

I owe a great deal of thanks to many people who have helped me along the way with this project. Dave Petri for being a good friend that is always there when I need help and for steering me in the right direction. Gary Zilik for all of his expert RV building advice and ?tool crib?. Don MacNiven for flying chase allowing me to see my creation fly and other numerous acts of assistance for which I am very grateful. And mostly to my wife Debra and daughter Cassandra for all their help bucking rivets, dimpling, et all--but mostly for putting up with me for the last 4 years while this project took shape.

As for the date of this first flight, it was not picked--it just happened this way. The plane and weather were both ready. I am very proud to have flown my airplane four years after the worst attack on American soil when, at that time, no one was exactly sure what the future of aviation would be. It is a tribute to the resolve of this country that we will not be ruled by terrorists. We are still a free nation in spite of their efforts to change us.

Scott Mills
N339A (now flying)

A couple of PICS,

img28755ab.jpg

img28926zl.jpg

what a great looking day! and congradulations!

i agree (as most everyone does) with you on your comments regarding 9/11. my wife and i sat glued to the tv watching a couple of programs showing tribute to those that lost their lives that day and recalling the events. we are truly a resiliant country, and it's more than fitting that you are still able to fly the airplane you built on the anniversary of an event that changed the way we see the world, yet we are stronger because of it. they did change us, and for the better!

congradulations! what a feeling that must be!!

:)

Congrats Scott! Welcome to the Colorado family of RV'rs...

If you're ever down toward Centennial... Give me a shout...

-John