JVolkober

Well Known Member
After six years and two months of building, the first flight of RV-9A N29JV took place on April 15, 2012. The flight occurred after spending two days chasing down a problem with the pitot static system, a chase that underscored the principle of checking the obvious, simple things first. I was fortunate to be supported by a dedicated crew consisting of Rolph Untenaehrerr, John Winter, Roger Archie and my wife Teryl all of whom were gracious enough not to point out that the problem was created by the pilot early on the first day. Enough said.

The plane flew flawlessly, no issues aside from high cylinder heat temperatures that continued through the first three flights. As a result, some of the baffle seals were re-worked and the temperatures moderated enough to continue flight testing. As of May 21, the plane had 20 hours on it and continues to perform well.

N29JV is powered by a Lycoming O-320 engine and Hartzel constant speed propeller and is equipped with dual Skyview screens ? one 10? screen and a backup 7? screen, Dynon EMS transponder and autopilot, Garmin 430W which is tied into the Dynon system using the Dynon ARNC interface and the PS Engineering PAR100EX combination audio panel, intercom and radio. All this is supported by a redundant electrical system consisting of the primary alternator, a B&C SD-8 backup alternator and backup batteries on each Dynon screen. Interior consists of Classic Aero Aviator seats and carpet with side panels to come later this summer.

Painting will be done after completion of Phase 1 testing.

Thanks to to all of you on VAF who responded to my numerous queries for help and assistance. This forum has been a great source of information and help.

John

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

After six years and two months of building, the first flight of RV-9A N29JV took place on April 15, 2012.

John

April 15??

Watcha been doing in the last month and a half.........:rolleyes:

Seriously, congratulations on the fledging :D

Congrats! Great to see another bay area completion. Just read about kelly johnsons first flight in san jose.

Sounds like the ifr panel i shoulda built. Oh well, just more time amd money. :D

Make sure to say hi when in khaf!

Jae

Great job John!!

John,

Congratulations on a very nice job...Well Done.
Yours is one of the nicest RVs I have had the privilege of looking over.
Hope you and Teryl enjoy the plane for a long time to come.

Rolf

Congratulations!

John,

A belated congratulations on completing your RV! Have you flown off the 40 hours yet? Any pictures? Is it painted yet?

I'm getting very close to finishing mine - about 50 hours more work before the DAR inspection. Perhaps we could get together after I've got my 40 hours flown off this fall. I'm getting checked out today in Rex's ASW-27 at Montague. Feels good to be back in the air again.

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB @ 1,810 hours construction time so far