dwilson

Well Known Member
Friday Morning Mar. 16, 2007 my RV-9A quick build (N32LK) took to the air for the first time with Mike Seager acting as test pilot. I was able to follow along in an RV-4 owned and piloted by Jerry Sorrell, my EAA tech advisor.

Relief, excitement, anticipation, and a little fear rode along with me as I watched my baby roll down that runway and lift effortlessly into the air.

Since June 5, 2005 she and I had spent MANY hours together as I formed her into flyable status.

When Mike said "she flies straight and level hands off" I knew that all the careful measurements and extra time to "make it right" were worth it.

After Mike gave his blessing to my ship I took her up and flew her around the pattern then landed to an audience of about 15 family and friends. No pressure!!!! but I greased it in and looked like I knew what I was doing.

Thanks to all of you folks for your advice and encouragement on this forum. Thanks to Doug for making this forum possible.

Thanks to my family that has encouraged me and sacrificed so I could see my dream come true.

In the picture are my wife Linda Kay, my dad - who spent countless hours helping me build N32LK, and my son Thomas who helped when on vacation from college.

I am really jazzed!!!!

Duane

http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/img483/1576/dsc9437ak6.th.jpg

Duane:
Congratulations! After all of your building and time spent talking with other builders as well as logging onto this forum, you've probably gotten the sense that a lot of people have built their own planes. NOT TRUE! You've become part of a group of some very interesting people. How many of your neighbors can say they can travel coast to coast or border to border in something they built themselves in their garage.
You're going to love the 9. Great x-country plane, great instrument platform - just ask the guys at Vans. During your flight testing, try holding the stick full aft and steering with your feet. It stalls like a canard. Check out the glide characteristics. Out of all the planes I have flown and owned, this one is my favorite.
Have Fun, Fly Safe
Terry
RV9A
N323TP

Welcome to the 'Flying' column in the database, Duane!

Congratulations on your first flight and we'll see you around in the air.

Best always,
Doug

cool!

Congrats Duane - thanks for posting. I'm elbow deep in Proseal and wishing I was done. It helps to be reminded that in the end the Proseal will eventually cure and I will someday have a great airplane!

Way to go!

Great job Duane!

Now, once again, it will be hard to get back to work :rolleyes: I should be home building...