GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
Well, finally after having my Airworthiness Certificate issued, 12 days up North for personal business and getting things ready, RV-6 N198RV has broken free from Mother Earth's gravity. She flew beautifully and as advertised. No wheel pants and leg gear fairings until new engine is broken in.

1400+ hours of construction in approx. 14 years

I flew for 1/2 hour even though I had said to myself 20 minutes but I just didn't want to land yet :)

NO squawks other than a slight oil run from the oil temp probe base.

Thanks to everyone who helped over the years (you know who you are) and of course to DR for maintaining this site so that I could continue to get encouragement and help from other VAF members. What a great resource.
Send in those yearly dues now before you forget. I'm going to today!!

Photos (and hopefully video coming soon)

k1swsk.jpg

15xpgk2.jpg

64jml1.jpg

35an49l.jpg

xfvj92.jpg

k56w2.jpg

congratulations!

Beautiful paint job. If you have any temp. problems, put the pants and fairings on. It helped my temps noticeably...

Congrats Gary,
We will probably meet in person as VNC is one of our favorite stops. (Yea Sharky's). I might suggest that if you ever plan or need to add gear leg stiffeners in the future to run your brake lines in the front of the gear legs.
Welcome to the Van's AF family.
Roger

Outstanding news Gary! Wishing you a happy and safe phase 1.

Beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):D:)

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on the newly fledged bird:D

This photo needs to be on a calendar

k56w2.jpg

Temps

Beautiful paint job. If you have any temp. problems, put the pants and fairings on. It helped my temps noticeably...

All temps were very good. Better than I expected actually. I am not quite sure when to call the engine broken in.

All climb cylinder head temps were between 400-424.
All cruise cylinder head temps were between 348-381.
Oil temp after about 20 minutes was 170 (pressure 85psi)
EGT cruise was 1213-1285.

Thanks for all of the congrats guys.

I have been waiting for this day a long time!!

Around ten hours.

Gary, ours had a noticeable CHT temperature drop around 10 hours and we also climbed at around 130 MPH or faster, which helped with temps.

Hopefully, this cool weather will last for a while, providing quite a bit of temperature drop.

Best,

congrats, lookn forward to seeing it in person soon. ill buy lunch.

lots of new rvs sproutn up in south florida.

First Flight Party

Hey Vlad if your coming down, we'll have a another party. My first flight crew was hungover from the party the night before first flight so I didn't want to push it...lol (I was DD of all things)

Roger, let me know when you are headed to Sharky's (for those who don't know Venice KVNC is on the beach and there is a great seafood restaurant and pier)

Mike and Pierre, I agree calendar....Thanks

Turbo, can't make Sebring RV breakfast this Wednesday, maybe the following week. See you there.

Brent, I have some property in Cambridge (KCDI) East of you. When I get back to Ohio I will look you up. Your airplane is awesome.

Thanks to everyone.

Congratulations, Gary!

Glad to see that everything went well! Good luck with the flight testing. Let me know if you need anything.

Gary congradulations on your first flight! I'm currently working on my finishing kit on my RV6A in Sarasota.

later,
Bill

Gary, there is a local group, mostly RVs ( PGD and elsewhere) that fly to breakfast every Wednesday morning, usually to Sebring. You are welcome to join us. What area did your DAR give you? If you want more details, email or call me. Smaller groups go to Venice for lunch.

BTW, anyone else is also more than welcome to join us.

Ned
42TD

Instrument Panel

Congrats Gary. Looks great, I love what you did with the panel.

Trevor, I can't take credit for the composite instrument panel. I bought it from Laird Owens (Calif). He sold them about 10 years ago and I don't know if he still does. It's fiberglass and carbon fiber and has the right side at an angle that allows easier reading by the pilot and easy access to the back of the panel.

sbopat.jpg

Gary, there is a local group, mostly RVs ( PGD and elsewhere) that fly to breakfast every Wednesday morning, usually to Sebring. You are welcome to join us. What area did your DAR give you? If you want more details, email or call me. Smaller groups go to Venice for lunch.

BTW, anyone else is also more than welcome to join us.

Ned
42TD

hea ned, you getn up there in your posting. see you in the morning. lookn windy!!!!!!:D

First Flight Photo's & Video

OK, OK, once again, I have been lax getting this video posted. But for those that keep asking, here is what I have. (Albeit in point and shoot camera format. This is all we have. Our video guy had an equipment malfunction) My apologies to Kenny Loggins for using "Danger Zone" in a cheesy video ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPoD-pFljU8

or a link to a webpage with a few photos and video:

http://web.me.com/glpalinkas/Garys_RV-6/Welcome.html

Thanks to my wife/co-pilot Sandi for the still shots and a friend who just happened to have a small point and shoot camera there and shot some video. Another friend had shot some Hi-8 footage but that is still being transferred to digital.

Last edited:
Phase 1 ...and DONE

Well, not really done. Are we ever done?

Completed my Phase 1 Flight Testing. All went well with very few tweaks or adjustments. Mostly engine baffle modifications. Slight wing heavy issues (read Van's guideline before squeezing your aileron)

Painting of my wheel pants and gear leg fairings next.

Now for the RV GRIN ..... my wife's first flight.

Left Venice for breakfast at Sebring with about 25 other RV'ers. (counted at least 20 RV's on the ramp)

It was such a nice day and I haven't been out of my phase 1 test area so.....

Marathon Key here we come...

208w9j7.jpg

2zedquf.jpg

2643kuc.jpg

2hzh9fs.jpg

I think she liked it :)

Congrats Gary and Sandi! The world just got smaller for you. Great that you'll be enjoying that together.

--
Stephen

Great looking plane Gary, you should be very proud. The 14 years thing helps me put things more in perspective, I am so unhappy that supply delays have put me into a 14 MONTH completion!

Gary-- Congratulations on a great job and a great looking plane. I think I got to see it as you rolled out of your hanger on Feb 8th. I was in the runup area in my 6A getting ready to leave VNC and come back to the reality of Illinois. The next time I get back down to FL I will try to look you up. I usually get to Venice in the winter. What a great place to be based.

Randy Stisser
RV-6A
First Flight Jan 2006
770 hrs and counting

Last edited:
Thanks

Gary-- Congratulations on a great job and a great looking plane. I think I got to see it as you rolled out of your hanger on Feb 8th. I was in the runup area in my 6A getting ready to leave VNC and come back to the reality of Illinois. The next time I get back down to FL I will try to look you up. I usually get to Venice in the winter. What a great place to be based.

Randy Stisser
RV-6A
First Flight Jan 2006
770 hrs and counting

Randy,

Thanks for the comments. Give me a call the next time you are in town. I'm in the RV white pages.