RFazio

Well Known Member
My buddy Skip is ready to go with his new RV7. We are waiting on the DAR. I'm going to be his second safety pilot on the first flight. When I flew mine the first time I was so nervous I never looked at my checklist. I couldn't find the altimeter! I'm hoping to do a better job this time. Looking for a first test flight check list. I know stall speed, clean and with flaps, slow flight, handling etc. anyone have a good list?

Hi Richard,

You'll find tht there is an entire Advisory Circular devoted to flight testing, and it has a reasonably good checklist for the first flight. That's AC 90-89B.

I do have to ask you though - have you read through AC90-116 the Additional Pilot Program Advisory Circular? It has guidance on all of the pre-flight checks that MUST be done to use the APP legally. It alos has checklists that you MUST go through to determine if the additional pilot is qualified. If you don't go through those steps, and document them, then you are not legally using the APP.

Please don't be insulted if you already know these things and are very qualified (as I hope you are) - but the fact that you are asking for a first flight checklist makes me wonder if you have gone through the APP process - because the requirements for being a Qualified Pilot pretty much make it a pre-requisite that you have done enough testing to already know what you should have for a first flight.

I'm sure you know that - but there are lots of rookies here that might not. The APP is not a ticket for a free ride for a second person - it is a process to ensure that if a second person goes along during Phase 1, they are very qualified to do so. If we, as a community, abuse the priviliedge, we'll lose it.

Yes I have read throught the checklist and do qualify

I have flown 3 first flights, 1 in my RV. I have 600+ hours in my RV6. On the recency of experience scoring matrix of AC 90-116, I score 60 of possible 70, 60 is required. On the qualifications scoring matrix I score 130, 90 is required. The new RV7, built by my friend has the same engine, and the same avionics. I do have a brief checklist of my own, but will read through the 100+ pages of the AC 90-89B. I was thinking, an RV appropriate list might be available here.

Last edited:
Make sure the DAR specifically allows AC90-116 during phase 1, in the operating limits he gives your friend. Some DARs are not yet up to speed on this.

Already did

The DAR said he has never done one with the new APP wording, but he knows about it and is ready to give us an Operating Limitations with the wording.