teaguy

I wish I could say it was completely uneventful but I cannot. Picked a good day got myself prepared did a walk around and taxied out. When I checked the controls free and clear I thought my mind was playing tricks on me and felt a little stiffness on the aileron movement. I had my inspection earlier in the week and my inspector found a loose nut on the bell crank in the wing. We must have tightened it too much and I had not noticed it had really stiffened the controls. Well on take off I couldn't understand what was going wrong, I didn't have time to freak as the plane was rocking back and forth too much. I had lost the free movement on the controls and this made the movements very jerky. Not fun. I gained some altitude over the airport as this was prearranged with ATC. I was able to control the aircraft but it did make me sweat. I immediately returned and landed the aircraft, without any slow flight testing as I could not risk staying up any longer especially slow flight with overly tight controls. The landing was relatively uneventful thank goodness. On further inspection we found the controls much stiffer than we had remembered. I think what happened was after years of testing the controls during building I had become convinced that all was as it had been, only it wasn't, the control setup had changed tightening the bolt after the inspection and I ignored my instinct because it had been good for so long. Needless to say I need to do another first flight and do it right. Hope this bonehead move helps someone someday.
Mark Mercier
RV-7A
Abbotsford BC

Mark

Very happy that you made that first flight safe and sound.

I am still in the build phase and like you I have on occassion just moved a head when things just didn't seem right. 99.9% of the time this created big problems later down the road. So for me I learned to stop the work/patiently check the work/keeping looking until the problem is found and then move on. Now if I would just quit making mistakes that are not first presented as intution of a possible problem.

Mark I congratulate you on your willingness to share this incident. I am sure it will help me and anothers as we prepare for that first flight.

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

Congrats, Mark!

Being the first flight, you were spring loaded to get down quickly. The 2nd flight will be MUCH more fun <g>.

Congrats again.

b,dr

Good work on keeping a cool head and steady hand. I'm not wanting anything to go wrong on my first flight because there is so much that can. I guess you just have to be prepared for anything.

AND congratulations on a successful yet unnerving first flight ...... I'm jealous but I'll get ther one day!

second first flight 7A

Well, what can I say, relaxed the aileron bell crank and took her back up. Now I can finally say, had a great flight, no heavy left wing, and a big hats off to Van's for making such a terrific aircraft and Mike Seager for training that was worth it's weight in gold. Thank you all for the help during the build and to those out there still building, it's true, keep pounding those rivets, it is so worth it!
Mark Mercier
RV-7A
Abbotsford, BC

Congratulations Mark - both on the first flight, and good judgment on getting it back on the ground!

Enjoy the test period and the chance to get to know the airplane better.

Paul

Mark, congratulations on both of your first flights. Drop by CYNJ so the locals can give your airplane the white glove treatment.

I had some snags on my first flight as well. In fact, it took about 100 hours before everything was set up just right... then I started panel modifications!

How about posting some pics?

Vern

video of first flight

Vern, don't laugh but here is a quick video from inside. You can see how right off the ground the aircraft pitches from side to side. I think the biggest issue was that I did not know what the problem was at the time, my brain didn't seem to be running at full capacity :p , go figure, after the flight on inspection we noticed how tight the controls were. I would appreciate if the commentary on my flying skills were kept to a minimum as I was in full cope mode making as little inputs as possible. :D Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGxAzpFgC0s

Mark

Fantastic first test run in the video. Expert all the way considering the problem with the stiff controls. I do have a question.....What is that bar running down the center of you canopy??? ;)

Frank @ sgu RV7A Tip Up "NDY"