Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
I finished the aleron & flap installation today preparing for first flight. I used an airfoil template to align the flaps and ailerons. IF corrective action is required, why wouldn't one tweek the flaps to effect roll correction rather "crush" an aileron trailing edge as a first step ???

Flaps have little affect on roll ?

Thanks 2002!
I was assuming if gear fairings and wheel pants can have an effect, a large surface like flaps could also with only a small variance in relative position. Not challenging your statement all, please elaborate for education ( me and possibly others)!

I tried tweaking the flaps and it had very little affect. I also came to realize that the air load was now on the control rod all the time, rather than the flap stop. I returned them to the stop...

I used a wedge for a while on the light aileron but did not like the look, plus wherever I went guys kept telling me to change the radius.

In my case I had already over squeezed the ailerons a bit during construction so had to bump the heavy one to raise the wing. I used a hammer and padded wooden block and tapped half of the aileron a bit at a time until I had it zeroed in. Worked like a charm and not nearly as traumatic as I had imagined.

Squeezing an aileron (if they're still a little fat) would be far easier yet... Just go slow and fly it, it does not take much. The change is barely visible...

Good luck!

I tried tweaking the flaps and it had very little affect. I also came to realize that the air load was now on the control rod all the time, rather than the flap stop. I returned them to the stop...

I used a wedge for a while on the light aileron but did not like the look, plus wherever I went guys kept telling me to change the radius.

In my case I had already over squeezed the ailerons a bit during construction so had to bump the heavy one to raise the wing. I used a hammer and padded wooden block and tapped half of the aileron a bit at a time until I had it zeroed in. Worked like a charm and not nearly as traumatic as I had imagined.

Squeezing an aileron (if they're still a little fat) would be far easier yet... Just go slow and fly it, it does not take much. The change is barely visible...

Good luck!

( had to bump the heavy ) please expand on this.....?

I'm thinking I would want to remove the aileron from the hinge bolts before beating on it with a hammer - just sayin... ;)

Ya don't have to hit it very hard. I radiuses the ends of about a 4" wooden block and stuck fuzzy velcro to the radiused side. With the block at right angles to the trailing edge I tapped it with about a 16oz hammer while moving the block about 2" at a time. Use softer taps near the ends. Mine were painted at the time and it did not crack the paint...

If your aileron is a little fat, squeezing the light aileron would be easier, and more controllable.

Like I suggested, go slow, it does not take much.

Vans has instructions on this as well...