miyu1975

Well Known Member
How do you know when you are ready to fire up the engine the first time. I am close, real close and the list I know I need to complete prior starting the engine is getting short. I have mostly completed all wiring, I lack installing COMM (waiting on MGL V6 shipment), wiring flaps...nothing here needed for an engine start. I have installed my skyview and all engine probes, so ready to go there.

Things I know I have left to do:

Time PMags
Flush fuel lines
Pre Oil engine (already made preoiler), put oil in engine ;) (I actually had a dream that I forgot to put oil in the engine)
Calibrate skyview ems settings

After working on wiring and panel for the past month or 2, I want to get oil in the engine and fire it up for obvious reason, but don't want to jump the gun either. Panel/wire related I still have wiring to tidy and clean up and paint the panel I realize, but I figure I have enough now (almost, see above) to start the engine...

thoughts, what I am leaving out?

SV ready to go..
IMAG0274.jpg

I thought I was close to being done a few months ago, even when I had my wiring all tidied up. You might be surprised at how long it takes to really get done. If you haven't already done so, get a bunch of builders together and have a pre-inspection inspection once you think your really done. Then, you'll likely have another pretty good punch list to work from that will take some more time.

I didn't see any purpose in doing an engine run until right before the real inspection, especially b/c I want the preservative oil to stay in the right places until it's no longer serving a purpose.

Just another perspective.

Last edited:
1st start

Steve,
I remember well that anticipation of the first start ! A couple key things besides the overall inspection of systems: Dont rely on your brakes,you will be busy enough. Tie the tail to a fixed object..I used my car hitch and a tow strap/chocks. Have a spotter with a fire extinguisher big enough for worst case scenareo,as well as him/her familiar with obvious signs of problems. Take a video ! With cowling off,cooling is not great,so the run wont be real long...follow mfg. start up recomendations and have a scratch pad for data recording. Remember this a quick run to verify the systems all work and there are no major problems. I was able to achieve oil pressure quickly by pulling the top plugs and turning over the starter prior to runnng. Im sure others on this site will give you additional ideas...its a big moment!

If I remember correctly ...

Install the wings, they dampen the twisting of the fuselage.
Install the rear baggage bulkhead with all screws, to not deform the fuselage.

This is somwhere written in the Vans Manual.

Good luck

Dominik

Another suggestion

You will have so many things in your head, that you wont capture all you wish to. If someone has a gopro or hero etc video cam with mount, set it up behind you to focus on the guages/skyview. Someone else can get the outside video of the start. This capture will allow you to look back and see the various rpm, temps etc all working and then you can watch it later to see any anomolies or things to adjust/tweak.
Just a suggestion. I had my note pad...but with the very short run and excitement of it all, I tended to miss most info other than seeing it all seemed to be in the green. Also, ensure fire extinguisher guy is clear on task, have watched first start vids where nobody was even near it and pilot would have been bacon while friends tried to figure out what to do. Its a critical job (give it to the right person)...pin in hand, ready in a second if its needed.

Good luck, fun part for sure.

I am hoping to do a first start this weekend. Prop bolts torqued and saftied, boost pump already checked and all the gunk in the lines cleared out, wings on, baggage bulkhead in, oil pressure switch andpressure sensor checked, cylinder head and exhaust gas temperature probes all checked, manifold pressure reads correctly, etc. Have the proper break in oil in. So, I think I am ready.

Will be interesting. There will be some other builders to do a final check and help me through the process.

Ryan
congratulations on your progess. I have kept up with your build since
last January

it looks like your using the standard Van's panel but after looking again you might havr a 3 part panel
just wondering

thanks
smilin'Jack