Allan Stern

Well Known Member
On Saturday I did my first engine start on my 8A. The engine did start up but I was having some problems I hope will be easy to diagnose. When I turned the key the engine was "hesitant" to turn over. Not a vigerous crank. I am assuming that the battery might be low so I have put a charge on it and even with a charger it did only a little better.

Took battery home and have put it on a charger over night and it appears to be fully charged. Will retry next Saturday. The battery is a Concorde and is about six months old. I know several folks have gotten bad Concorde batterys in past so this might be the problem.

But it is not the battery then I will be stumped a bit.

Thanks
Allan Stern 8A Toozicoot
Lycoming 0-360 C/S GRT EFIS

Hi Allan...

...what kind of starter do you have? The stock ones don't compare to the newer, lighter and torquier Skytecs,

Best,

On Saturday I did my first engine start on my 8A. The engine did start up but I was having some problems I hope will be easy to diagnose. When I turned the key the engine was "hesitant" to turn over. Not a vigerous crank. I am assuming that the battery might be low so I have put a charge on it and even with a charger it did only a little better.

Took battery home and have put it on a charger over night and it appears to be fully charged. Will retry next Saturday. The battery is a Concorde and is about six months old. I know several folks have gotten bad Concorde batterys in past so this might be the problem.

But it is not the battery then I will be stumped a bit.

Thanks
Allan Stern 8A Toozicoot
Lycoming 0-360 C/S GRT EFIS

Double check that you have a ground cable installed between the engine case and the airframe. It is often missed. Engine will still crank but more slowly because the only ground path is through the engine control cables.