Davepar

Well Known Member
Nothing on this project has been so surreal as climbing into the cockpit with the full intention of starting the engine. I've climbed in a hundred times and made airplane noises. Did not have to fake it this time. Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLn8lQmTcKs

More details on my builder's log:
http://www.dualrudder.com/rv7/2007/03/04/1195

RV Grin, part 1:
IMG_4396.jpg

Congratulations!! And I gotta say it looked like your wife (I assume that's who it was who clapped & ran over at the end) was all excited to hop right in and go for a ride. That's great! Only a matter of time now before you'll be flying.

Tiny note...probably want to get into the habit of raising the flaps before startup.

See you at a fly-in soon!

Why?

dan said:
Tiny note...probably want to get into the habit of raising the flaps before startup.

I haven't been raising my flaps. :eek: Why should that be done?

Kent

kentb said:
I haven't been raising my flaps. :eek: Why should that be done?

Kent

Raise flaps for a couple of reasons. #1 To keep them from being damaged by FOD. #2 They produce a "nose down" lift. (This is even more critical on a tail dragger.)

Congrats Dave! I can just see myself forgetting some of the same things, like priming and throttle! Will look forward to hearing about a first flight soon and N255L's arrival at an airport near ME! (That would be KELN in case you just want to plug it into your GPS right now. :D ) Again, congratulations!

Yup, that's my wife. She's been a huge help on the project, helping with every rivet on the plane that I couldn't do myself. Any my daughter has been helpful at critical times when I needed a tool or someone small to squeeze into a tight spot.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the flaps after watching the video. Figured I probably should have had them up, especially later when I ran the engine up a bit.

And thanks Dan for your tips on first engine start you posted a while back. I was a bit rushed on the process and (obviously) wasn't following my checklist closely enough, but was ready for any contingency.

Beaudy Dave,

Congratulations Dave, Julie and Adele.

Very warming to see a whole RV family so excited.

Look forward to the next video about ...................

FLYING!

Pete.

You sure have been chugging right along, Dave. There was a time -- for a long time, in fact, -- that I was about 5 months behind you. If I kept up -- which I did for awhile -- I was doing pretty well. Alas, I've fallen years behind. But you still give me good motivation.

Hi Dave, I'm about 3 to 4 months away from my first start, I get "Goose bumps" watching your video, can't wait to do the same!

Good luck with your "first flight"!

Adam
Finish RV-8

Just got to see the video and hear the news, Dave. Excellent! Way to go. See you in the air real soon.

Sweet!

Very cool Dave, and very motivating. I've enjoyed reading your progress reports. Congratulations!!!

PS - The captions were great!

very nice

I really enjoyed watching this. :) It was great to see the shared enthusiasm from your wife. Anything can be fun, but when the fun is shared with the family.....that?s priceless.Good luck on your first flight. keep us posted ;) as I am sure you will.

Last edited:
Video

Nice video! Enjoyed watching it, just like everyone else.

As I go into my shop and see my beautiful AeroSport Power IO-360 just sitting there in its mount, waiting to be run for the first time ... well, the first time attached to an airplane, anyway ... *sigh*

Soon ... very soon ... :)

Thanks again for sharing the moment.

Great Video !

BIGtime congratulations to you and the girls, Dave. I'm at least 1.5 yrs from start-up, but your video is as exciting to me as any movie I've ever watched.

Terry Ruprecht
Mahomet, IL
N319TE; RV-9A QB fuse