Veetail88

Well Known Member
Another first engine start thread, but this one is very different because it's mine!

Fired up the Mattituck built IO-360 with dual P-Mags and horizontal cold air intake on Saturday.

Following an unsuccessful first try we hunted down the lack of fire to the spark plugs. While I thought the wiring was complete, we discovered that I hadn't actually landed the ground wires for P-Mags power. Hmmmmm. Won't start without that! A bit embarrassing, especially since 2 different people asked me what those two wires that were hanging there were for. I was so nervous and full of adrenaline that I'd assumed they were for something else.

This completely confirms that my decision to have someone else do the first flight is correct for me. I'm way too emotional and the nervous stress would not be very good for that scenario!

Anyway, it was all successful, it ran fine. I have one CHT sensor not registering and the tach on my AFS 4500 is not registering correctly, so I have no Idea what speed the motor is running at. Seems too fast. In fact, I only moved the throttle about 15% of the travel and the rpm wound up quickly, so I didn't go beyond that.

I'll track down those problems and run it one more time before first flight. Likely in spring, realistically.

The champagne was delicious! :D:D:D

Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YreFBetNzYc&feature=youtu.be

9c7z.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!

Nice work, Jesse! I'm looking forward to that day with my Mattituck IO-360 with dual P-mags and horizontal cold air induction! Great choice on the engine and options, by the way. ;)

The fun has only begun. Congratulations on the first start.
And thanks for the beer when my wife and I came over.

You're most welcome Don!

Look forward to getting to know you guys better. And you're right! The fun is certainly ramping up! :D