9Driver

I am about ready to do the engine oil purge and first run. For those of you that have already done this, did you run the engine with the lower cowl on or off? If off did you secure the oil cooler? If so how? It seems like the cooler will rub against the muffler due to prop blast.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Either way will work!

I am about ready to do the engine oil purge and first run. For those of you that have already done this, did you run the engine with the lower cowl on or off? If off did you secure the oil cooler? If so how? It seems like the cooler will rub against the muffler due to prop blast.

You can run it either way. With cowl off simple safety wire the oil cooler up and away from what it might hit. With the cowl on depending on how close the rear propeller plate is to the cowl you may have to safety wire from engine to front screw holes to keep cowl from touching plate from vibration!:eek:
Good Luck!

What I did/done - -

I have a couple LOOSE cable tie straps around the push rod tube and down around the fittings for the cooler. When ever I take the lower cowl off, the cooler drops only an inch or less. Has worked for 4 years.

Cowl off

I used two of the bolts from the shipping bracket and put them in the case, lower forward area. I fabricated two hangers out of coat hanger material so I could hang the cooler away from the muffler. Has worked well many times.

I've also run the engine with just the lower cowl. Mine is secure with the side pins and lower screws, and is far enough from the spinner to not have to secure it further.

Google luck, check things twice, and enjoy.

I have run mine at idle without any cowling and no special oil cooler support, but only for a minute post oil change to look for leaks.

My first engine run was the cowl completely off. Worked fine. After the idle speed and mixture was set (the first time) and we saw no leaks, we ran it with cowl on.