sailvi767

Well Known Member
I did my first cross country today with the wife. Left 14A near Charlotte and flew to W95 at Ocrakoke NC. 244 NM trip. This was my first real chance to check out cruise performance. We burned 14 gallons of fuel on the flight. Had to stay low the first 50 miles because of the ceiling and then descended early to sight see near coastal NC. Could perhaps have cut the fuel burn a bit flying a more optimum profile. Cruised at 9500 most of the way with a average 20 knot tailwind. I flew part of the trip at 50 ROP and part of it at 50 LOP. LOP still scares me but I saw some great numbers for a RV6 with a IO360. 180 Kts true at 8.4 GPH. When LOP EGT was about 1370 on the high cylinder and CHT was about 345 on number 4. Does that temp seem ok for long term cruise flight?

George

Just expand your comfort zone and soon you will be making trips where you have to make a fuel/bathroom stop before you get to your destination.

I agree with Radomir. 50 degrees ROP ok when at reduced power (<65%) power settings, but corresponds with peak CHT temperatures and pressures and is to be avoided like the plague at higher power settings. Besides, who wants to pay for gas they dont need?

erich