JonJay

Well Known Member
I can not believe it has been almost a year since the first flight and 90 hours of flying fun on my 6. I made it a process to go through the airplane stern to stem and develop my own check list as I went. As a cross check, I borrowed three or four other lists, and the FAR's, and checked each one against mine to insure all was covered. The only item in need of any kind of repair was a small brake leak from a slightly loose brake hose (high pressure, not the pastic ones). Tighten, bleed, and all was good.
So, I decided to list all of the things here that are commonly posted as problem areas that where not a problem on mine, YET, and the things I did that hopefull will keep them that way. We shall see.....

.016 Elevator and Rudder Skins - No Cracks - Built to plans. (squish those trailing edges well)

Van's tail wheel lock pin - no wear, burrs, or sign of hanging up. Not sure why some do this.

Wheel Pant Brackets - No Cracks - Van's Standard

Plastic Brake lines - No leaks - Van's Standard

Air Box Mounting Plate - No Cracks - Modified .060 for Silver Hawk. I used Philister Head Bolts with Star Lock Washer and Safety wired. I drilled the holes one size larger in the Plate.

Exhaust - No cracks - Vetterman Cross Over

Baffling and Oil Cooler - No Cracks - Vans standard. I fabricated a steel strut and mounted to the Engine Jack Strap Case Bolt and to the top inside corner
of the Baffle at the Oil Cooler. There is no give at all at the Oil Cooler when grabbed and shaken.

Cowling Hinges - None Broken - I supported the bottom Cowl inside edge with one screw each side to the firewall. If you dont, it will break there.

Fasteners - I did not use any tinneman washers on any fairings, wheel pants, spinner, or seals. I found no visible sign of wear or cracking using standard truss head hardware with nylon washers or standard flush screws.

Fairings - I did experience some chafing and have applied Teflon tape to those areas under fairings that where wearing on my paint. Unfinished fiberglas is like sand paper. I would consider painting the bottom edges of them in the future.

Please keep in mind, this is only 90 hours. Things can, and probably will change. I will update as/if they do.

I think Vans makes a great product right out of the box. If you build it right, very few modifications are needed to make a safe, solid, low maintenance, fun machine.