PaulR

Well Known Member
After "fretting" over something not being correct for most of this week, last evening I finally figured out what it was. While working on the access plate for the left tank on Sunday, I put the nutplates for the fuel sender on the "outboard" side of the acess plate per the instructions. I hadn't been back to the shop since Monday and last nite I woke up in a cold sweat and had to go look. Sure enough, they were talking about the outboard side of the wing, which is the inside of the access plate.

Today I emailed Van's, being fairly sure it would make no difference providing the sender was secure and sealed and sure enough, that's exactly what they told me.

The problem is, I'm not sure I can live with it that way. Now, I know I'm not building a show plane, and I'm the only one who will know it when I'm done, but I'm not sure I can live with that.

To that end, what's the best way to remove the prosealed sender from the access plate. I had quite a time removing the screws and I can only imagine what it will take to remove the proseal.

Or does the collective wisdom here think it will be "okay".

Sorry for the long post but I'm really upset with myself.

Paul,

Any chance you can post a picture?

I must be mis-understanding what you're saying...If all you did was put the six or eight nutplates that hold the fuel sensor on the wrong side of the access plate, it seems like you can drill them out and replace them...or at the worst, buy a new access plate and do it again - what can that cost?

Or maybe the -9 is totally different from an -8, and I am talkin' out of ignorance (which is entirely possible....)

Paul

Fuel Sender

I'll try to post a picture this evening. I haven't take one yet.

Paul, you're correct, but I don't really know how to get the proseal that's holding the sender off. I removed the screws last nite and it's stuck very, very tight.

Buying the new parts isn't a problem and that's probably what I'll do. Van's said essentially, "build on" but I'm not sure that's what I want to do. I just haven't figured out how to loosen the proseal.

Steve, it is a mirror image, but that would still leave the mounting flange of the sender inside the tank. I know, it's about as clear as mud, but I'll get a picture put up.

As can be detected from pictures, I've already removed the screws.

Last edited:
Paul, I am not sure that I understand the parts, but...

I removed the tank covers, which I had proseal with the gasket by using a couple of screwdrivers to cut and pry the covers away from the tank. It took some time to get it all loose.

Kent

Use a razor blade or a box cutter blade to cut through the proseal. Start on one side and work your way around. It shouldn't take very long at all and it won't damage anything.