BruceMe

Well Known Member
I built my RV-4 last year. Two questions:

1 - What RV-4 specific ongoing maintenance items are there? Right now I'm checking the firewall for buckling. What else specific to RV-4 should I be looking at?

2 - I've done plenty of owner assist annuals before, but I've never done my own annual from scratch. Where do I check on ADs? Is there an online resource?

Thanks
-Bruce
RV-4 N254MM Fastback RV-4

Bruce,
As stated above all AD's can be found on the Faa's web site and all service bulletins aplicable to the 4 can be found on Vans web site. Even though AD's and Service bulletins may not have to be complied with its a good idea to figure out whats important regaurding saftey. For example the Lycoming oil pump AD. I have physically seen two aluminum impellers that have failed (cracked in half). I consider this an important AD.
Other things to look for on the airframe.
Cracks in flight control surfaces
Hinges for cracks or loose rivets
Spar areas tail and wings for cracks or loose rivets
Controls IE pushrods for loose rivets tight bearings and possible cracks
from fwd stick tail all points and control tube to ailerons all points.
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Wheel bearings.
Landing gear and engine mounts for cracks
Engine
clean and gap plugs , check compressions, clean fuel filter if aplicable, clean or replace airfilter, check for exhaust cracking, check under heatmuff for cracks or holes, clean engine, overall inspection for any thing abnormal. These are just a few things off the top of my head.
Ryan RV4

Two very good habits...

...during condition inspections are:

A) Use a checklist

B) Start at either end of the airplane and work systematically toward the other (an old A@P's good advice). Don't just bounce here, there and everywhere.

Personally, I start at the spinner. It comes off and the safety wire cut on the prop bolts and they're re-torqued. Next is the starter wiring, then the plugs come out,,,etc, working your way backward, oil filter, gascolator, carb drained (very important), all fuel and oil lines checked for security...etc, compression checked, plugs cleaned, mags timed, oil filter changed, cut open and inspected.

When you arrive at the wing spar box after the floorboards are removed, you also then work your way east and west through the pushrod connections, bellcranks, secondary pushrods and aileron/flap hinge checks.

Continue toward the rear checking each inch of controls/cables 'til you arrive at the stab/fin attach points...you get the idea, and each item is checked off on the list as you proceed.

Regards,

Last edited:
Op Lims

Is there a generic log book entry for the conditional inspection

I don't know if there is one for a "Conditional Inspection", but the one that you need to write for your "Condition Inspection" should be on your Operating Limitations....:rolleyes:

Paul

I don't know if there is one for a "Conditional Inspection", but the one that you need to write for your "Condition Inspection" should be on your Operating Limitations....:rolleyes:

Paul

I've been biting my tongue, wondering who would be the first. :p I thought it would be Mel.:cool:

Conditionally inspected

...maybe

But serious, it is done now and it took about 12hrs. I think next time I could do it in a long day.

But.....

...maybe

But serious, it is done now and it took about 12hrs. I think next time I could do it in a long day.

12 hrs IS a day. One of the first things I learned, when working for yourself, you can work 1/2 days.....And you get to pick whichever 12 hrs you want!

12 hrs IS a day. One of the first things I learned, when working for yourself, you can work 1/2 days.....And you get to pick whichever 12 hrs you want!

Wife, two kids, 60hr/wk job and an hour commute to the airport day = 4hrs :( But I hear yah, there was a day when I could do 12hrs at the airport.