Leopold

Just did the Apple Cup last weekend, which is one of the IAC Washington state aerobatic competitions...was my first try, flew the primary (most basic) sequence after training up with a great coach. Was very nervous walking into a room full of more experienced aerobatic pilots, but it was a completely different experience than I'd expected (feared). Everyone there -- everyone -- took time to visit with me, welcome me to the sport, and make helpful suggestions. A few people, including an internationally competitive pilot who flew (and won) the "unlimited" division spent two practice days coaching me from the ground by radio and then debriefed each of my contest flights so I could improve. The contest director (Sam Potterf) and the chapter president (Peter Gelinas) checked in with me constantly to make sure I understood what was coming next, and to see how I was doing. I achieved my goal of no "hard zeroes" -- doing all the aerobatic figures to the point where they got a score -- and the scores were better than I thought they'd be. Most of the planes there were purpose-built aerobatic aircraft, but it's certainly possible to fly an RV8 or similar for the first few levels and score fine. This was huge fun, highly recommend!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I had a very similar experience a couple years ago. It is super hard and equally rewarding.

Proof is in the pictures. Seth is the one on the left. His RV-8 is in the upper left of the first picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 127
Just did the Apple Cup last weekend, which is one of the IAC Washington state aerobatic competitions...was my first try, flew the primary (most basic) sequence after training up with a great coach. Was very nervous walking into a room full of more experienced aerobatic pilots, but it was a completely different experience than I'd expected (feared). Everyone there -- everyone -- took time to visit with me, welcome me to the sport, and make helpful suggestions. A few people, including an internationally competitive pilot who flew (and won) the "unlimited" division spent two practice days coaching me from the ground by radio and then debriefed each of my contest flights so I could improve. The contest director (Sam Potterf) and the chapter president (Peter Gelinas) checked in with me constantly to make sure I understood what was coming next, and to see how I was doing. I achieved my goal of no "hard zeroes" -- doing all the aerobatic figures to the point where they got a score -- and the scores were better than I thought they'd be. Most of the planes there were purpose-built aerobatic aircraft, but it's certainly possible to fly an RV8 or similar for the first few levels and score fine. This was huge fun, highly recommend!
That was the hook for me almost 8 years ago! Ron Schreck roped me in and held my hand for the first few contests. Now I’m out there doing inverted flat spins and other stuff I never imagined was possible. Be careful, you may end up buying a Pitts or an Extra later on!

But more important than the flying, the community has been fabulous! I’ve met so many wonderful people and have made life long friends through this crazy sport.

For those in southeast, we got rained out of our contest in Georgia last month and it is tentatively rescheduled for Nov 7-9 in a new Georgia location TBD. There’s also a contest in December in Sebring FL. You’ve got plenty of time to join the IAC and get to practicing!

That was the hook for me almost 8 years ago! Ron Schreck roped me in and held my hand for the first few contests. Now I’m out there doing inverted flat spins and other stuff I never imagined was possible. Be careful, you may end up buying a Pitts or an Extra later on!

But more important than the flying, the community has been fabulous! I’ve met so many wonderful people and have made life long friends through this crazy sport.

For those in southeast, we got rained out of our contest in Georgia last month and it is tentatively rescheduled for Nov 7-9 in a new Georgia location TBD. There’s also a contest in December in Sebring FL. You’ve got plenty of time to join the IAC and get to practicing!
Inverted flat spins in the RV? Impressive if so. I haven’t seen anyone do that yet. When I did airshows with my last RV-8 I toyed with the idea of an inverted spin from the top of a Humpty Bump but did a down line snap instead. Would be interested in your experience with RV inverted spins if you’ve done them.

Inverted flat spins in the RV? Impressive if so. I haven’t seen anyone do that yet. When I did airshows with my last RV-8 I toyed with the idea of an inverted spin from the top of a Humpty Bump but did a down line snap instead. Would be interested in your experience with RV inverted spins if you’ve done them.
No, not in my RV. I never did inverted spins in the RV. I’m doing them in my Extra 300S. I’ve been working on all kinds of multi-turn spins (as many as 6 turns), aggravated with aileron, accelerated, flat, upright and inverted and cross-over or transition spins (FUN!). Bill McLean does inverted spins all the time in his RV-4.

Last edited:
Leopold,
You and Jerry are spot on how we got hooked with the aerobatic competition and the pride associating with the best of the best. Both Ron Scheck and Jerry had difficulty doing inverted spins in the RV-8, but another RV-4 driver (Patric Cogan) and self used inverted spins in our free style at the Nationals in 2016. Great write-up.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Pics or didn't happen.
I'm not much for documentation! But here's one of me congratulating the other guy who flew primary after he did a great flight, and standing with Christian Baxter, who won the unlimited division, and despite flying incredibly hard stuff, took the time to give me advice before and after each flight. What a nice guy. In fact, all the guys there were super supportive!

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8241.jpeg
    IMG_8241.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50